[SOLVED] After kernel upgrade in Ubuntu 18.04 error: Alert! UUID=xxxx does not exist

galopete

Feb 27, 2019
Spain
Hello

My cluster:
Two servers running Proxmox 5.3-8 and a server running NAS, not HA configured.

I'm having a trouble with a VM in my cluster, recently this VM running Ubuntu 18.04 made a kernel upgrade (4.15.0-48) and before reboot the VM doesn't start with an error:
Captura de pantalla de 2019-04-28 22-17-16.png
I have checked blkid using a live cd to check the UUID:
blkid.png
And fstab:
fstab.png All seems to be ok, but the VM doesn't start...

I'm looking for solutions, and i was try some solutions that i find in www, but no luck. I have some machines running Ubuntu 18.04 upgraded with that kernel and no trouble with it, for that reason i think that this behaviour of the vm is a Proxmox problem... (not sure, but i think that...)

Any idea?

Many thanks.

Abraham.

Did you try changing the names of the drives in the /etc/fstab to the old format? (/dev/sda1 etc.) Does that solve your problem?

If not, could you post your VM config? `qm config VMID`

Did you try changing the names of the drives in the /etc/fstab to the old format? (/dev/sda1 etc.) Does that solve your problem?

If not, could you post your VM config? `qm config VMID`
Hello oguz.
Many thanks for your response.
Answering your first question: Yes i was try to modify fstab changing the UUID for /dev/sda1, but no change... same error booting the VM.
In the pics you can see the vm config, fstab and gparted info.aa fstab.png aa gparted.png aa qm config.png
Thanks for your time, oguz... i will wait your suggestions.

Abraham

Hi.

Probably something went wrong during the kernel upgrade which made it not recognize the boot partition I guess. You can try booting your VM with a boot-repair live ISO and try to fix it. I can't think of anything else.

* what's the output of `blkid` when run in the initramfs shell?
* regarding the change in the '/etc/fstab' you would need to run `update-initramfs -k all -u` after making that in order to put an updated fstab into the initramfs as well.

Hello Stoiko.
Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay in my answer.
Finally i was upgrade to the new versión of the kernel (from 4.15.48 to 4.15.50) and all works normally again.
Seems to be an error in kernel 4.15.48.

BR to all
Abraham

Glad the issue was resolved!
Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' so that others know what to expect.
Thanks!

Reactions: galopete

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!