TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or

rabouin

May 9, 2019
Hello Guys,

Sorry is the question have been already asked, but i cannot find any solution.
I 'am Newbee in Proxmox and i have already successfull launched ubuntu container.

I have tried with debian iso " debian-9.9.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1 " buti have this error. Virtualisation is enable on my motherboard.

TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

If the virtualization have been not enabled I should be not able to install Proxmox and launch container is it rigth ?

I'am using AsRock b450 motherboard and Ryzen 7 1700x

Thanks for helps

If virtualization is not enabled you can install Proxmox and run containers but not VM's, which seems to be exactly what you have. So the first thing is to double-check your BIOS settings to make sure hardware virtualization is enabled.

Also, are you running Proxmox on bare hardware or inside another hypervisor (e.g. Virtualbox, VMWare, Hyper-V, etc)? If that is the case your CPU and hypervisor needs to support nested virtualization.

If virtualization is not enabled you can install Proxmox and run containers but not VM's, which seems to be exactly what you have. So the first thing is to double-check your BIOS settings to make sure hardware virtualization is enabled.

Also, are you running Proxmox on bare hardware or inside another hypervisor (e.g. Virtualbox, VMWare, Hyper-V, etc)? If that is the case your CPU and hypervisor needs to support nested virtualization.

Hello

Thanks for repply, I have installed it on bare, i will double check may be I have forgot something.

Hi @ all,

after upgrading from 6.4 to pve 7 I get the same error when trying to migrate a vm from one node to the other in the cluster.
The node with the error is just a lil soc-system running a Intel J1900 with 16 GB DD3 memory. It was running fine with 6.4 and all possible virtualization options in the BIOS are activated.
On the intel website I found out that the cpu support Intel VT-x but not VT-d. Is the VT-d necessary to run VMs?
All in all it is confusing because I can create a new VM and install windows 10 on it.

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards

Benzola

Hi ! same problem VT is enabled on BIOS Mother board is a dual Xeon with two Xeon E2690

I do not see SVM or IOMMU options on my BIOS

Any clues?

Hi, i had the same problem. My problem got fixed, when i tured off KVM. Go to your virtual machine to "options". Then deactivate "KVM hardware-virtualization". Proxmox probably takes then the OpenVZ virtualization methode. But i'm not shure.... .Also BobhWasatch said, that it would only work for containers, when KVM is disabled. But it worked in my case. hopfully in yours also.

View attachment 46060

Reactions: compman and TMC3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!