[SOLVED] proxmox failed to start after reboot

Logan_Rocks

Dec 22, 2016
my proxmox web interface failed to start after reboot. i ran a systemctl status pveproxy.service and here is the log.

Code:
root@odc-host1:~# systemctl status pveproxy.service
● pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-05-07 08:57:38 EDT; 15s ago
  Process: 2274 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pveproxy start (code=exited, status=255)
      CPU: 537ms

May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 systemd[1]: Starting PVE API Proxy Server...
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 pveproxy[2274]: start failed - failed to get address info for: odc-host1: Name or service not
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 pveproxy[2274]: start failed - failed to get address info for: odc-host1: Name or service not
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=255
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Proxy Server.
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 07 08:57:38 odc-host1 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

seems your DNS-resolution or rather your /etc/hosts are not configured correctly

make sure that the hostname you've set resolves to an ip-address by adding it to /etc/hosts

hope this helps!

Ive got it back up but i was mesing arround with the name on the server and i cant get the vms back up ApplicationFrameHost_9MM1OuQMUc.png

Hm - I guess you renamed the host from 'pve' to 'odc-host1' ? (and that it's a single-node setup and not a cluster)

In that case the most likely cause of the problems is, that the clusterfilesystem (pmxcfs, mounted on '/etc/pve') still references the old hostname,
you need to move the directory from '/etc/pve/nodes/<oldname> to '/etc/pve/nodes/<newname>' - and restart some services (a reboot would be best, but you can try restarting 'pvestatd', 'pvedaemon' and 'pveproxy')

hope this helps!

Im getting this error when i try to move it.
Code:
mv: cannot move '/etc/pve/nodes/pve' to '/etc/pve/nodes/odc-host1/pve': Directory not empty
root@odc-host1:~#

oh - I guess in that case - move every file in '/etc/pve/nodes/pve' to '/etc/pve/nodes/odc-host1/'
`mv /etc/pve/nodes/pve/* /etc/pve/nodes/odc-host1/`

I just changed the hostname back to pve and rebooted the whole server. seems to be working fine now. Never changing the hostname again :p. thanks for the help!!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!