Curl current proxmox release version from web

rml

Apr 24, 2019
Bit weird but I'm setting up various scripts that announce when software is due for an update - mainly so I can check release notes before applying.

Is there somewhere I can reliably get (curl or similar) the latest release number from - so the script can use it to compare it to pveversion.

You can do `apt update` and then `apt list --upgradable` should show you any software updates. You could then parse this output. Just an idea.

Reactions: rml
Thanks Ogux, much easier than I thought.

Is dist-upgrade the preferred method for proxmox (rather than apt upgrade) ?
Have there ever been any version changes that require more than that?

For some reason I got the impression that --upgradable would list packages that a dist-upgrade may chose not to install. God knows where I got that from as I've just tested in on a couple of VMs.

I've some more reading to do clearly! Thank you.

Hi,
Is dist-upgrade the preferred method for proxmox (rather than apt upgrade) ?
`apt-get dist-upgrade` or `apt full-upgrade` are the preferred methods. (Never use `apt-get upgrade`)
Have there ever been any version changes that require more than that?
No.

I've some more reading to do clearly! Thank you.
You're welcome!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!