Proxmox install on new server

mundan101

Jul 14, 2018
Hello,

I am getting a new server to host Proxmox and wanted to know of any recommendations on SSD for the host?

I know I can get a consumer grade SSD for pretty cheap, but not sure of any concerns or the long run and crashing.

Any input is appreciated.

Well it greatly depends on what the setup is for, but at home I have been using consumer grade ssd for system disks for years. My strategy is getting disks from different manufacturing for pools.
I am currently running proxmox build using one Intel 120gb and SanDisk 120gb. In mirror pool. For system.I had a build on 2 SanDisk where one failed. Droped in the Intel. Run replace and back in business.
Would not do this for business prod system. But for home don't see an issue.

Well it greatly depends on what the setup is for, but at home I have been using consumer grade ssd for system disks for years. My strategy is getting disks from different manufacturing for pools.
I am currently running proxmox build using one Intel 120gb and SanDisk 120gb. In mirror pool. For system.I had a build on 2 SanDisk where one failed. Droped in the Intel. Run replace and back in business.
Would not do this for business prod system. But for home don't see an issue.

I had a Kingston SSD in one for a test and after a few months noticed the wearout on the disk tab was slowly creeping up and up.

Well I guess it depends on use and setup.
I use ssds only for system.
I have a mirror 1tb pool where I put my VMs and files.
So system does not have too much writes I guess.

Well I guess it depends on use and setup.
I use ssds only for system.
I have a mirror 1tb pool where I put my VMs and files.
So system does not have too much writes I guess.

I read somewhere that proxmox does a lot of read/write....I was initially was thinking a USB but decided against it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!