Upgrade Proxmox without Internet.

FrancisS

Apr 26, 2019
Hello,

I have a Proxmox 5.2.8 and want to upgrade to 5.4.1, the server do not have Internet access.

I mounted the Proxmox ISO on "/media/cdrom" and I tried to use "apt-cdrom" but the iso is not recognized (there is a problem with the one line "Packages" file in "proxmox").

How can I upgrade from the ISO ?

Best regards.

Francis

Hello,

I uploaded screenshot of the "apt-cdrom" errors, the "sources.list" modified manually and the "apt-get" errors.

All the errors are related with the one line file "proxmox/packages/Packages".

Best regards.

Francis

Attachments

• apt-cdrom.png
    apt-cdrom.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 26
  • apt-get.png
    apt-get.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 23
  • sources.list.png
    sources.list.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 24
You are right, the format of the CD isn't recognized by apt-cdrom. What you can do is go into the dists/stretch/pve/binary-amd64 and proxmox/packages directories and install the .deb files with "dpkg -i" (those that you have installed already - at some point I had some oneliner ready for that ...)

I'm trying to figure out what would be needed to make it compatible with apt-cdrom, maybe you want to file a feature request on bugzilla.proxmox.com for that so that it won't get forgotten? :)

Actually, I found the culprit. The second Packages file on the CD was missing its linebreaks. We fixed the building tools - the next release should be compatible with apt-cdrom (again). No need to file that feature request anymore. :)

Hi Rhonda,

Thank you for the fix in the next release (the compatibility problem is also with "apt-get" not only with "apt-cdrom").

Before I see your reply I used "apt-get" to install the deb files from "dists/stretch/pve" and "dpkg -i" to install deb files in "proxmox/packages".

When I used "dpkg -i" and try the resolve packages dependencies I found some dependencies problems.

There is an update for "perl" but not a file for the prerequisite "perl-base".
There is a "libc6-dev" but no "libc6".
There is an update for "ssh" but no "openssh-client".
There is updates for "libgnutls-openssl27" and "libgnutlsxx28" but no "libgnutls30"

I downloaded missing deb files from debian.

Best regards.

Francis

@rhonda any chance we could get the fixed Package file?

In essence, if you copy the CD to the harddisk, you can change to the proxmox/packages directory and call "dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages" in there to create it. That should do the trick for the time being.

Hi,

Thank you !

Best regards.

PS: We need to install dpkg-dev.

Francis

Last edited:
Hello all,

I saw this post back when it was version 4.x (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_a_4.x_Installation_using_a_newer_ISO_image) and I followed the steps but in the end I get the CDROM cannot be used in apt-get, to instead use apt-cdrom (which I used previously in the steps). I'm trying to get from version 7.1 and 7.4 to 8.0.3 but I'm stuck. I also read this entire post and you mentioned a bug while installing from CDROM for that version/release but the fix was installing all .deb files manually (which I tried and I get dependency/will break this errors) or fixing some file's linebreaks. Is there any new guidance on how to upgrade ProxmoxVE without connection to the internet and using the ISO on a repository or burned to a CD/DVD-ROM? I get to the step where I can see:

deb cdrom:[Proxmox 8.0.3]/ bookworm pve
deb cdrom:[Proxmox 8.0.3]/proxmox/packages/ /

but after this the error is "Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

I've searched Debian and other Linux Forums to see if I can upgrade without having to erase everything and start over again but no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Proxmox CD Error.jpg
    Proxmox CD Error.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!