USB install better options (needed!)

Louis Kidd

Feb 14, 2016
Hi there

I have used proxmox for many years but one thing i have found is that its incredibly difficult to install from USB.

please can proxmox design a user friendly way to install? like UUI?

Tonight I have tried every single way possible to install to a usb finally resorting to a blank dvd which is a pain as most laptops dont have DVD drives anymore.

I tried the dd method in ubuntu, I tried dd through my mac and I tried Suse Imagewriter, and I have tried with UUI with a few suggested manipulations with all of them failing.
I can install any OS fine on this machine through usb apart from proxmox.

Its a strongly advised suggestion as xenserver and esxi both install very easily though UUI.

Thanks
MooseH

Another alternative is to buy a Zalman ZE and use this. I haven't used iso2usb in years because I can just copy the iso to the disk, emulate it an boot everything I want via USB on laptops, server and even diskless systems.

I agree, I've been trying to install from USB all day. I've burned the image using Rufus on Windows and dd on Ubuntu. The install keeps hanging looking for a CDROM. Who the hell uses CDROMs anymore?

I have to agree with this, the instructions in the wiki are terrible - suggesting I download a 75mb utility or osforensics which is totally cryptic in how that works - that is ridiculous when Rufus is only 2mb. Thankfully the Rufus DD method works, confirmed on 5.0 beta2

Totally agree with you all, but then after doing more research I found the solution for this problem,
The best software to burn usb image of proxmox is IMAGEUSB, download the software, download the latest proxmox....and burn it to USB, you dont have to click on any options or going through selections....
I would advise that first format the USB drive using imageusb and then burn the image after wards...and boot from it....all will work.....

link for imageusb
w w w .osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

I use Win32DisckImager to write the ISO to USB stick and the installation works just fine.

You can ignore the warning, its working anyway. The devs are already informed about this issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!