Disks GUI - /proc/mounts too long - aborting

valeech

May 4, 2016
Running pve 5.2-2 (and also previous versions)

When I select the "Disks" option in the GUI I get an error

file '/proc/mounts' too long - aborting (500)​

On the nodes where I receive this message, I have a large number of ZFS datasets with subsequent mountpoints. I believe this is interfering with the Disk display in the GUI. If I remove most of the ZFS datasets, there error goes away.

Seems you hit a limit in our codebase.
Could you open a bugreport on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ ?
also could you please paste the output of `wc /proc/mounts` (when the ZFS datasets are mounted) - in the bug-report

Thanks!

Running pve 5.2-2 (and also previous versions)

When I select the "Disks" option in the GUI I get an error

file '/proc/mounts' too long - aborting (500)​

On the nodes where I receive this message, I have a large number of ZFS datasets with subsequent mountpoints. I believe this is interfering with the Disk display in the GUI. If I remove most of the ZFS datasets, there error goes away.
I have the same problem, did you file a bug that I can attach to maybe?

The limit is increased in libpve-common-perl 5.0-41 and newer. See https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1311
If you're on a newer version and still run into this error, please post the output of 'wc /proc/mounts' as Stoiko mentioned above.

Actaully this is fine after a reboot it seems, but the output was (before reboot):
root@cat:~# wc /proc/mounts
5966 35796 1072539 /proc/mounts

Right now it is
root@cat:~# wc /proc/mounts
137 822 12225 /proc/mounts

Could you post the content of /proc/mounts the next time you run into this limit? It would be interesting to see what's filling the file this much.

I'm also running into this issue:

root@shv0:~# wc /proc/mounts
5679 34074 622502 /proc/mounts

I've tried working around this issue by updating the limit in ProcFSTools.pm based on the git commit in the bugzilla report:

Code:
    return PVE::Tools::file_get_contents("/proc/mounts", 768*1024);

But after restarting pveproxy, this doesn't seem to help.
Is there something I can do short of restarting the entire server?

EDIT: I'm using Proxmox 6.0 (libpve-common-perl 6.0-5).

Just experienced this on PVE 8.0.4

wc /proc/mounts:
Bash:
32812 196872 9786166 /proc/mounts

Both my server node and shared NFS storage are experiencing high load from other tasks running at the same time.

Edit: There was a CIFS mount that was looping and trying to mount over itself forever slowing everything down. I manually unmounted and remounted it and now things appear to be smoothly working.

Last edited:
Edit: There was a CIFS mount that was looping and trying to mount over itself forever slowing everything down. I manually unmounted and remounted it and now things appear to be smoothly working.
If possible please open a fresh thread (and link to this one) in the future - it's better than to reply to one that has seen no activity in almost 4 years...

If you want to investigate this further - please post the journal of the node where this happened to the new thread - and also what tried to mount the cifs-share in a loop

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!