Ubuntu spice

PeterMarcusH.

Apr 5, 2019
Hello guys, im trying to install the spice guest drivers for my light ubuntu VM. Whilst trying to follow the installation guide, im stuck at the following, from their wiki:

To enable the virtio serial port you need to pass the following params on the qemu cmdline:

-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,max_ports=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 \
-chardev spicevmc,name=vdagent,id=vdagent \
-device virtserialport,nr=1,bus=virtio-serial0.0,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0

Where would i go about to find the qemu cmdline?

if you select 'spice' as display, this will be added automatically

Thank you for your reply dcsapak!, would you know then why when i run ./config on the two downloaded spice guest files i get the following:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    73.1 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for your reply dcsapak!, would you know then why when i run ./config on the two downloaded spice guest files i get the following:

I do not get what you are doing here, just install in your Ubuntu the spice-vdagent with:

> apt install spice-vdagent

which Ubuntu version do you run?

I do not get what you are doing here, just install in your Ubuntu the spice-vdagent with:

> apt install spice-vdagent

which Ubuntu version do you run?

I cant resize why window in spice, and wanted to install SPICE vdagent and x.org QXL video driver from .tar files at spice-space. The install instructions explain to just ./configutre and then make? And i run 4.15.0-47 Ubuntu...i think o_O

you never need to install the tar versions.

which Ubuntu version do you run exactly?
which desktop environment do you use?

you never need to install the tar versions.

which Ubuntu version do you run exactly?
which desktop environment do you use?

But at windows, installing the guest spice drivers fixes the issue and works like a charm? Why wouldnt the same count for linux? And sorry for being a linux noob, but how exactly would i go about finding my ubuntu version and desktop environment? :oops:

You should be able to tell us which Ubuntu version you use, otherwise its a bit hard to help.

(If you use the current Stable Ubuntu in a default setup, it works out of the box after installing the vdagent with apt.)

There are several "minimal desktop", the question is which one (MATE, lubuntu, xubuntu, ...). but I assume you did not went for the "Ubuntu desktop"?

If you go for the default Ubuntu desktop, it just works, others do/can have problems with the resizing.

You can add the "Ubuntu desktop" if you re-run tasksel.

> tasksel

and choose "Ubuntu Desktop". Works here.

There are several "minimal desktop", the question is which one (MATE, lubuntu, xubuntu, ...). but I assume you did not went for the "Ubuntu desktop"?

If you go for the default Ubuntu desktop, it just works, others do/can have problems with the resizing.

You can add the "Ubuntu desktop" if you re-run tasksel.

> tasksel

and choose "Ubuntu Desktop". Works here.
Thank you tom! This worked for me :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!