Full Disk Usage on Ubuntu VM

naupe

Apr 8, 2019
Hello Proxmox Community,

So I recently I installed Proxmox VE 5.3 on my Dell PowerEdge R710. Set up the interfaces for my DHCP network and its been working great so far ... well, except one issue.

I'm currently attempting to create a Discourse Forumin an Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 LTS VM. I set the Disk Space for 100 GB plus LVM, as you can see in disk_space2.png (99 GB in /dev/sda3) and in GParted in the VM in gparted.png (I was able to install Xfce4 Desktop Environment and GParted application).

However, when I run a df -h as in disk_space.png. As you can see, I have only about 5 GB to work with. This is causing constant disk space issues and I'm unable to run anything, and LVM is not increasing the Disk Usage space at all (isn't that what LVM is supposed to do?).

Of course I'm rather new to setting up VMs, so this issue could be completely outside Proxmox and more so a general Linux issue.

Attachments

• disk_space2.png
    disk_space2.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 66
  • gparted.png
    gparted.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 65
  • disk_space.png
    disk_space.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 66
Did you install from a template or from an ISO?

What does fdisk -l show within the VM?

Did you install from a template or from an ISO?

What does fdisk -l show within the VM?
I would ... but I figured out what to do! I did the following:

sudo /sbin/lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv
sudo /sbin/resize2fs /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv

/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv now has 90 GB! I also followed these procedures on another Ubuntu VM to get the unused 400 GB to the LVM partition!

I suppose my next Proxmox challenge is to:
  1. Get Proxmox to connect to the public Internet (and to get a DNS address)
  2. Get my Ubuntu VMs to connect to the public Internet (and to get DNS addresses)
If anyone here has any instructions I can find on how to do this, would be really helpful!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!