Clock on VM using Proxmox 5

Mecanik

Mar 2, 2017
Is there a way to stop the VM clock from changing it's timezone to the host timezone ? I really had no such issues with Proxmox 4, but it seems for some reason I have this on Proxmox 5.

Basically the node has 1 timezone and the VM needs to have it's own timezone inside Windows OS, but it changes randomly back to the node's timezone.

Could you advise ?

Thank you!

proxmox does not (and can not) change the timezone of the guest

proxmox does not (and can not) change the timezone of the guest

That is what I thought as well, but it's happening on 2 nodes with Proxmox 5, so then what does change the timezone to the node's timezone...

i guess windows tries to set its timezone based on location/network ?

I am wondering if the "time zone" is being changed or if the "time" is only being set to that of a different time zone. These are two different things. I am having issues where I want my Windows VM to use MT and the host is using UTC. If I set the VM to UTC, all is fine. But when I try and set the VM to MT, it still sets the time inside the VM to UTC time (it does not change the time zone, it just has the wrong time, or the time from UTC instead of MT).

Is this what the original poster is seeing as well or are they actually seeing the time zone get changed?

Last edited:
I am wondering if the "time zone" is being changed or if the "time" is only being set to that of a different time zone. These are two different things. I am having issues where I want my Windows VM to use MT and the host is using UTC. If I set the VM to UTC, all is fine. But when I try and set the VM to MT, it still sets the time inside the VM to UTC time (it does not change the time zone, it just has the wrong time, or the time from UTC instead of MT).

Is this what the original poster is seeing as well or are they actually seeing the time zone get changed?

I am actually seeing the timezone changed/reset inside the VM to the host timezone. No matter what I do.

So there is no definitive answer to this ? I really can't believe it. The time on the machine changes without reason.

I also tried to enable Use local time for RTC: YES, but still the time changes inside the VM.

For example:

March 30,2019 Saturday 1:00AM (UTC+8) Timezone: Singapore

It's automatically changed into:

March 29,2019 Friday 5:00PM but the time zone remain the same.

How can this even be happening ? Please advise...

You tried, in that case, you would be best to use UTC for the VM RTC and ensure that the VM OS is aware that the RTC is in UTC.

I was very dissapointed today to find out after a week long struggle with Windows timezone offset. No matter what I did, Windows turned its time to Proxmox timezone, UTC in my case. I had to change my Proxmox host to my local timezone to force Windows not to change time to UTC.

Developers, please make a possibility into virtual machine configuration to specify time offset or time zone.

There is a workaround for this:
1) Create the QWORD-Key "RealTimeIsUniversal" within Windows at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation and set the value to "1".
2) Execute the following command on the Proxmox Host: "qm set --localtime 0 <VMID>"
3) Reboot the VM by shutdown/stop and start in Proxmox
4) Set the desired time zone within Windows

Last edited:
Reactions: 0bsidian
There is a workaround for this:
1) Set "Linux" as the operating system for Windows VMs within Proxmox.
2) Create the DWORD-Key "RealTimeIsUniversal" within Windows at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation and set the value to "1".
3) Reboot the VM and set the correct time zone.

Sadly, this does not work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!