My custom LXC template is breaking start up services?

Jan 5, 2018
Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this, I am not really finding much on line.

My issue is rabbitmq-server service will not automatically start in my LXC container. Other services seem to start fine for example, sshd. It will start fine with service rabbitmq-server start. It seems to be related to the use of my custom LXC template which is based on the original centos6 template.

Using the stock centos 6 LXC template rabbitmq will start at boot time of the container. Using my custom container it is a no go.

I think I am creating the custom container correctly:
I create a new container from the base template, install my packages (not rabbitmq yet) and some yum updates.
Shutdown the container
Remove the network interface
Create a backup of the container using the GUI
move and rename the .tar.gz file to ../templates/cache using the CLI
Deploy a new container using the Create CT wizard
start the container
install rabbitmq
chkconfig rabbitmq-server on
service rabbitmq-server start ( to verify the service indeed will start)
shutdown and start the container

container starts fine and I can login, service rabbitmq-server status shows it is not running.

Any ideas?

I tested the same process but using centos 7 as the base template and rabbitmq-server starts as expected at container boot.

I tested the same process but using centos 7 as the base template and rabbitmq-server starts as expected at container boot.
Hey Scott,

Can you document your install procedure for RabbitMQ on CentOS7?
I run into issues with gcc not installing etc. Got around that to install Erlang
then rabbitmq
yum install rabbitmq-server-3.7.14-1.el7.noarch.rpm
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: erlang-percept-19.3-1.el7.centos.x86_64 (erlang-solutions)
Requires: erlang-runtime_tools(x86-64) = 19.3-1.el7.centos
Removing: erlang-runtime_tools-R16B-03.18.el7.x86_64 (@epel)
erlang-runtime_tools(x86-64) = R16B-03.18.el7
Updated By: erlang-runtime_tools-21.3.3-1.el7.x86_64 (erlang-solutions)
erlang-runtime_tools(x86-64) = 21.3.3-1.el7
...more same errors
...then

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

If you could post your install process it would be appreciated.
(both just trying to get a functional rabbitmq but also trying to get Taiga installed in case anyone has any comments) I am using CentOS7 LXC from the proxmox templates for the above

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!