Proxmox on Buster?

n1nj4888

Jan 13, 2019
Hi Guys,

Is there a way to install Proxmox on top of Debian Buster (rather than Stretch which Proxmox ships with), or does there exist any testing Proxmox on Buster builds/installers?

The reason I’d like to test this out is because the Intel vaapi drivers (i965-va-driver) are FAR more up to date in Buster and support VAAPI on Coffee Lake... So I’d like to see if it’s possible to pass the Intel GPU through to an LXC container but to do this I understand that the Intel vaapi driver is required on the host and the version packaged with stretch / Proxmox 5.3 is too outdated...

Many Thanks!

I'd love this too, to run ceph mimic with that new sexy dashboard *drool*

Debian Buster will be ready in middle of 2019 (earliest). Proxmox VE 6 (based on buster) will follow soon after the final Buster release.

Try to to build the missing driver manually.

Debian Buster will be ready in middle of 2019 (earliest). Proxmox VE 6 (based on buster) will follow soon after the final Buster release.

Try to to build the missing driver manually.
It’s not a missing driver, but an out of date driver on stretch... The updated driver doesn’t appear to be available on stretch.

Looking forward to PVE6 on Buster but wanted to see if there was a way to get the updated driver on Stretch/PVE 5.3 for testing in the meantime.

Thanks @spirit ... Sounds promising!

Are there any guides you can point me to to get the 4.19 kernel on Proxmox 5.3?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!