Unable to convert cloudlinux VMWare .vmdk files to .raw

TeknikL

Mar 13, 2019
I'm trying to import a cloudlinux 6 and 7 VM from vmware into proxmox, I have successfully imported linux and windows vms but for these two I get this error, any ideas? seems like those would be journal inodes maybe?

It throws these errors then fails. I tried with the included version and also compiled qemu-img 3.1.0 with same result.

Command used:
qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk -O raw "/VMWARE/disk1.vmdk" /scratch/disk1.raw

Errors:
qemu-img: error while reading sector 0: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 4096: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 8192: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 12288: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 16384: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 20480: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 24576: Input/output error
qemu-img: error while reading sector 28672: Input/output error

HI,
have you tried to check if the image is ok `qemu-img check -f vmdk filename`? See the manpage for more details.
Also, you can use`qm importdisk <vmid> <source> <storage> [OPTIONS]` to import a disk to a VM directly.

qemu-img check disk1.cmdk returns
No errors were found on the image.

will try import, it can go directly to shared lvm?

its not a ova, I'm just converting the disks to raw, then dd to the pre-created empty lvm disks, if there's a faster/better way I'd love to know it!

Hi,

Not sure if it's related. If 'disk1.vmdk' is a vmdk descriptor file, can you open up the file and see if vmdk version is set to either 1 or 2 instead of 3? If it's version 3, then it doesn't seem to be supported by the qemu 2.12 (not sure about 3.1) yet, so you may have to change the version number to either 1 or 2 and get rid of any entries that are related to CBT.

Take a look at this doc from VMware.

Hi, here' the info from the descriptor file.

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
encoding="UTF-8"
CID=5ebeebcf
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"

# Extent description
RW 1048576000 VMFS "disk1-flat.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "65270"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.longContentID = "97ca3bd6cea9d32e24945f585ebeebcf"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 98 99 a1 4a cf-11 c3 86 6f fe 8f e3 30"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "8"

What if you try the conversion on other distros with generic KVM/qemu? If you wish to try it on CentOS 7, I recommend installing qemu-kvm-ev, which comes up a much more up-to-date version of qemu.

The solution was to download and compile the latest version of vmfs-tools and then use THAT version of vmfs-fuse which supports files over 256GB.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!