Running Proxmox on Cloud Infrastructure (Azure, AWS etc.)?

marsian

Sep 27, 2016
Hello,

first, I know this question might sound a little bit strange, but who knows, you never know who else is out there and doing what ;)

While so far we've build all of our Proxmox Hosts on own hardware, we're now facing the challenge to operate VMs in remote locations or countries/regions where we dont want to operate own hardware, and getting managed hardware locally has some disadvantages too. This is why we thought about turning to providers like MS Azure, Google Cloud, Amazon AWS etc. for certain services and make use of their local data center footprint.

The idea & question at the same time is, did anyone so far successfully configured a Proxmox environment on top of their solutions? We would like to do this in order to keep some maintenance and configuration standards that we currently apply, and to be able to add these virtual instances to our VPN network which allows us to "rotate" and move VMs in case of need easily between locations and systems, and which we would like to keep for the new setup as well. The rough idea is to order 1-x larger virtual instances on their infrastructure, and configure each of them like a regular Proxmox node.

If anyone did so, I'm curious how and which provider you did chose :)

Thanks!

If you can get "real" hardware, it just works. Often, Azure, Google Cloud or Amazon AWS are virtualized systems which need to have nested virtualization enabled in order to run PVE with KVM guests on it - besides that it should work. (Although you're running a IaaS on a IaaS)

I'm interested in this as well after our offsite managed solution went down for 5+ hours yesterday. It got me looking today. After about and hour of searching and reading this sticks out the most: Enabling Nested Virtualization for VM Instances - Google Cloud

I'm not clear yet on whether or not the pve ISO can be used for the L1 image but the fact that they are allowing some hardware pass-through to the first level VMs is promising. There are other providers as well that allow this but of the big three that's the first I've seen.

I'm interested to setup and test and then see how long remote migration would take. This wouldn't work for HA or instant fail-over but could be a solution for recovery in the case where our hosts go down again.

I did seem to successfully install proxmox on top of a debian stretch with a properly configured GCP nested image. How do I test if proxmox is installed correctly through CLI?

Hi, is anyone still on this? probably my case is not having PVE on top of Azure, AWS or GCP, but instead, migrate my VMs (Especially Windows) to those infrastructures as my production server is quite old now but we want to maintain the VMs because reconfiguring them is costly.

Thanks a lot

Kind regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!