Unable to log into web interface

What error message are you receiving in the web browser?
Have you tried to telnet into the web interface to see if the server is responding on the web interface port?

I know you stated you are running critical VMS but PVE 3.x is EOL - I would strongly advise you upgrade to a newer Proxmox version, both for security updates but also features. Also, those updates are known to solve many issues as the system and its components are refined and improved.

Reactions: MikeP
Thank you for your response Astraea, Unfortunately this environment was acquired by our team and we are in the process of upgrading to a supported version. I am able to telnet to 8006 but the connection promply drops. When accessing the web gui after I enter my login info I get the spinning log in wheel for sometime then receive the "Login failed error". The login i'm using works over ssh and is also a part of the root group.

Have you changed the login method from pam to proxmox internal? I am assuming the user is not a user on node but just a user for proxmox?

Have you tried logging in as root?

Tried logging in as both the user & root to "Proxmox VE authentication server" and "Linux PAM standard authentication" but still no luck

Are there any other services that need to be restarted other than pveproxy? Is there a certain web dir that pveproxy references that this user may need access to?

yes, 2 out of the 3 nodes we are unable to log into. we can only log into one. (which was the third one that was provisioned) does proxmox prevent web logins from the other two nodes and only uses the last provisioned node as the web manager?

You should be able to login to any node in the cluster and manage it. When logged into the third node are you able to manipulate any of the VMs, such as see the console, etc?

so from the 3rd node (one with web gui access) I am unable to manage/console any vms from the first 2 nodes. When I try I receive a "communication failure (0)" error

are the nodes in the GUI showing green or another status? sounds like the nodes are out of sync as well as a GUI issue. Are the VMs on nodes 1 & 2 accessible?

the nodes 1&2 are out of sync and not showing as green, VMs are up and accessible though.

I would try a pve-cluster restart via ssh on one of the nodes showing down on the GUI and see if that corrects that issue, let me know if that lets you access VMs on that node from the node that you have GUI access on

okay, in doing a pve-cluster restart will any of the VMs running on the node be affected?

I don't think they would be. This should just restart the services that affect the Proxmox clustering.

We found a problem with an nfs mount that can no longer be mounted and we are unable to edit the nfs conf file (/etc/pve/storage.cfg) to remove this nfs mount due to there being insufficient permissions:

# ls -lh /etc/pve/storage.cfg
-r--r----- 1 root www-data 347 Oct 27 2016 /etc/pve/storage.cfg

This appears to be preventing us from syncing as well. Is there another way to unmount/remove this nfs mount without rebooting the node?

Not that I know of. did restarting the cluster services have any effect on the GUI on the third node?

We found a problem with an nfs mount that can no longer be mounted and we are unable to edit the nfs conf file (/etc/pve/storage.cfg) to remove this nfs mount due to there being insufficient permissions:

# ls -lh /etc/pve/storage.cfg
-r--r----- 1 root www-data 347 Oct 27 2016 /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Can you not log in as root?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!