Restarting Windows VM causes boot loop

abooltink

Oct 25, 2018
Hi,

I am using Proxmox VE 5.2-1 and installed a Windows Server 2016 VM. Everything works fine except restarting the VM i.e. after a Windows update. If the VM is restartet it keeps rebooting at the very beginning of the boot proces - just after finding the harddisk. The same happens if I select "reset" in the Web-GUI.

This does not happen if the VM is shut down. If the VM is shut down either from within the OS, through the Web-GUI or from the command line it just boots perfectly afterwards.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Axel

can you post your vm config?

Hi Dominik,

Yes, here it is:
----
agent: 1
balloon: 2048
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
cpu: host
memory: 6144
name: srv03
net1: virtio=1E:D4:0A:A6:CF:37,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=74f6cc45-240e-4b63-b0ee-0fba1f73ff9a
sockets: 2
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=400G
----

Regards,
Axel

you could try to use 'nocache' instead of writeback and scsi instead of virtio

Hi Dominik,

using 'nocache' and restarting the host seems to have solved this issue, I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your support,
Best regards,
Axel

Hello,
Why we should set cache to nocache?
This problem only occur on Windows Server 2016 & 2019 & we don't have it on Windows Server 2012 R2 with SCSI & writeback

Reactions: stefano.molinaro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!