Physical display for a VM

FaZeBasescu

Aug 26, 2017
Hello everyone,

I would like to attach a physical display to my proxmox server and to show a VM on it.

The hardware I use is an ASUS K751LX-TY077H laptop

Is it possible to do this on Proxmox 5.0-29 ?

It will depend. Your laptop seems to have a discrete graphics card (not build into the cpu), so if it also has an IGP (build into the cpu) than the chance of it being possible significantly increases.

What you have to do to give a VM a monitor attached to the host is using PCI passthrough to dedicate a graphics card to the VM. By doing that the VM can use the graphics card as if it were an actual part of the VM, but this means the host no longer has access to that graphics card. If you were to only have one graphics card your host system might not work properly since there is no graphics card for it. With 2 graphics cards it's not supposed to be a problem.

I tried that yesterday but I can't install the drivers for my graphics card. It is detected but it isn't recognised by the driver installation. Have any ideas why is this happening ?

Attachments

• IMG_0235.PNG
    IMG_0235.PNG
    748.3 KB · Views: 114
@An Hak : this (quite old) thread deals with PCI-Passthrough - which has been integrated into the GUI and reference documentation with PVE 5.3:
see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#qm_pci_passthrough

The even older thread
deals with installing a Desktop Environment on PVE - which is documented here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11
(the page is a bit outdated, but should still work)

hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!