Installation initialization failure: "no cdrom found" (ThinkCentre M73)

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
Trying to install Proxmox on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Desktop. The system's running an Intel G3220T @ 2.60GHz. Trying to install via USB and it gags on "no cdrom found":
[ 0.000000] [Firmwire Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata; please updat
e microcode to version: 0x22 (or later)
Proxmox startup
mountinq proc filesystem
mounting sys filesystem
comandline: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/linux26 ro ramdisk_size=16777216 rw quiet splash=verbose proxdebug
loading drivers: shpchp ahci wmi mac_hid video pcspkr intel_rapl_perf intel_cstate gbash_clmulni_intel crc32_pclmu1 cr
ct10dif_pclmul kvm_intel intel_powcrclamp x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_rapl
searching for cdrom
testing again in 5 seconds
testing cdrom /dev/sdb
umount: can't umount /mnt: Invalid argument
testing cdrom /deu/sdb
testing cdrom /deu/sdb
testing cdrom /deu/sdb
no cdrom found
unable to continue (type exit or CTRL-D to reboot)
/ #

I used Rufus 3.3 to make the USB drive for the `proxmox-ve_5.3-2.iso`.

@chchang which setting for the Linux distro did you use as I can't get Easy2boot to actually make a bootable USB for Proxmox.

I did use Etcher for Windows as per @tom's suggestion of following that page and this worked to create a bootable USB.

@tom, you might want to put this note about making USBs right on the download page (https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads) or as a popup message. It's easy to just pop onto your existing usual USB flashing tool and not realize this could happen...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!