Windows 10 guest won't boot with SPICE enabled

myall

Feb 16, 2019
I have a Windows 10 guest that was already installed without SPICE. I installed the SPICE drivers, shut the VM down and changed the display adapter to SPICE. Now, it won't boot - it gives a black screen and gives an "internal error" message, with not much more information than that.

Reverting the display adapter back to the default, however, brings the machine back to life.

Any idea on how to debug this?

I have a Windows 10 guest that was already installed without SPICE. I installed the SPICE drivers, shut the VM down and changed the display adapter to SPICE. Now, it won't boot - it gives a black screen and gives an "internal error" message, with not much more information than that.

Reverting the display adapter back to the default, however, brings the machine back to life.

Any idea on how to debug this?

change it back to spice and start, if it does not boot, stop the VM and boot it again. works here.

Win 10 got something a bit strange driver handling.

Where did you get your spice drivers from?

spice-space.org/download.html

Just used the latest one, downloaded.

change it back to spice and start, if it does not boot, stop the VM and boot it again. works here.

Win 10 got something a bit strange driver handling.

That was very strange. I reinstalled SPICE drivers, shutdown. Changed the display adapter to SPICE, started the VM and it wouldn't boot - but it actually showed the Windows flag symbol (which it didn't do previously). Stopped the VM, booted it again and it came up. Very weird.

Thanks for the help.

For the record the exact same thing happened to me. The first time I booted after switching to the SPICE graphics drivers Windows hung with the blue flag symbol. I forced a stop through Proxmox and restarted it and everything came up fine the second time.

I was hoping SPICE would be a little faster but if anything it is slower than VNC. The graphics are certainly nicer though. I'm connecting over a slow DSL line so am now looking to optimize.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!