repeated keystrokes

harumscarum70

Jan 5, 2019
I apologize if this has been asked/answered... I searched and found nothing. When I remote console quite often every 50 or so keystrokes the keystroke is repeated 15 times... i think in esx there is a parameter I can manipulate regarding keyboard delay... Has anyone else seen/fixed this?

I apologize if this has been asked/answered... I searched and found nothing. When I remote console quite often every 50 or so keystrokes the keystroke is repeated 15 times... i think in esx there is a parameter I can manipulate regarding keyboard delay... Has anyone else seen/fixed this?

Which type of console are you using (noVNC, Spice or Xterm.js), and are you connecting to a container or a VM? What operating system is running inside? Does it make any difference what OS you have inside, or when you switch the console you use to connect?

noVNC... connected to an Ubuntu 18.04 VM... It's a 'desktop' version and it's running GNOME. I believe I have never seen it when consoled to an ubuntu server and no gui.... Generally I haven't tried another OS with a GUI like that... didn't occur to me to try spice or maybe a diff desktop.

FWIW, I'm seeing something very similar to this with noVNC console on PVI 5.1-51 and Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic) VM with all updates.

When attempting to login on the noVNC console, I can type the username at the "hostname login:" prompt, but as soon as I press Enter, and start typing the password, extraneous Enter is pressed (so that if I type quickly, I see part of the password below the Password: prompt before the next login prompt. At that point, the login and password prompts act like they're receiving characters even though I don't type anything.

This repeats until the getty respawns the login.

An 18.04 box installed 80 days ago (and idle since -- without any reboots) doesn't exhibit this problem.
An 18.04 box installed just now does. I have tried "default", "vga", and "spice" for the Display type.

Both VMs are on the same hypervisor. I have not tried upgrading PVE yet.

If it matters, the VM displays this error on boot (the 80-day-old VM doesn't): "error: no video mode activated". This may not be related.

Updating the 80-day-old VM with the newest patches and rebooting it makes it exhibit the same problem.

Something has changed with Ubuntu 18.04 in the last ~80 days to make it not play nicely with the noVNC console.

Reactions: rhonda
Updating the 80-day-old VM with the newest patches and rebooting it makes it exhibit the same problem.

Something has changed with Ubuntu 18.04 in the last ~80 days to make it not play nicely with the noVNC console.

Can you potentially figure out through the dpkg.log (or potentially better, the log of the package frontend you use) which packages have been updated in that timeframe, to narrow it down? Then it could be submitted to ubuntu directly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!