Using Windows share as ISO repo

joshbgosh10592

Jan 29, 2019
I just installed Proxmox, but have an existing Windows share that I'd like to use as my ISO repository. I've managed to get the share mounted in Proxmox via fstab via the line below. I can browse to the share using an SSH session and view all the contents.

When I'm in Proxmox, I'm adding it as a directory and pointing it to /mnt/isos, but when I select that location while I'm trying to mount an ISO in a VM, nothing appears. If I add an ISO in the //Apollo/ISOs/template/iso directory that Proxmox is creating on my Windows share, I can see it, but I have my ISOs organized and I don't want Proxmox messing with it, nor do I want to unorganize everything. I also don't want the other 3 folders it's creating on the share, called dump, images, and private.

How can I accomplish this?

//Apollo/ISOs /mnt/isos cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,vers=3.0

Hi,

Proxmox assumes this dir structure and you can't change this.
A workaround is to create a new share and map your dir structure to PVE dir structure.

Hi,

Proxmox assumes this dir structure and you can't change this.
A workaround is to create a new share and map your dir structure to PVE dir structure.
Thank you for getting back to me! But question, how would that look? Like, where would I mount my share to exactly?

Just for future Googlers (and future me), I ended up mounting my share:

/etc/fstab:
//Apollo/ISOs /mnt/sharemount cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,vers=3.0

And then installing mhddfs and creating a login script that runs on startup that expands on the share, since Proxmox VE doesn't allow subdirectories. I'll need to add other directories in there as I want to display more subdirectories from my share.

/etc/init.d/mountmhddfs.sh:
#! /bin/bash
mhddfs /mnt/sharemount/Linux/, /mnt/sharemount/Windows/, /mnt/sharemount/Windows/Windows\ 10\ Pro/, /mnt/sharemount/Windows/Windows\ 7 /var/lib/vz/template/iso/ -o allow_other

Then, chmod 755 /etc/init.d/mountmhddfs.sh

Finally, update-rc.d mountmhddfs.sh defaults

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!