Proxmox Beta or master

sHAsHiLx

May 17, 2015
Tried to search but found nothing. Where I can get beta or nightly version of Proxmox?

Added proxmox testpve repo. apt update && apt upgrade - upgrades nothing. How this can be? Tell me any of package that testpve have newer that in production.

Never do a upgrade, always a dist-upgrade.

Please search the forum, there are countless threads about this topic.

found this somewhere in the internet:

If a new version of a package needs a new dependency, apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade and install the dependency, apt-get upgrade won't. Kernel upgrades usually come as a new package, which is a new dependency of the new version of the kernel metapackage. If you want to install kernel upgrades by command line, you need apt-get dist-upgrade. This is to make it possible to keep an old kernel and keep the system bootable if there is a bug in the new kernel or installation failed.

If a new version of a package conflicts with an already installed package, apt-get dist-upgrade may remove the conflicting package and upgrade the other, apt-get upgrade won't. But I've never seen apt-get dist-upgrade remove packages, so I assume it's rare. But I don't run the development version or use many PPAs.

When a new version of a package no longer depends on some dependency, both apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade the package and leave the dependency in place (possibly upgrading that too; there is no need to remove the ex-dependency), but it may become autoremovable.

but all my life I was used just upgrade without any problems. and as I think (and as it tells in quoted text) - But I've never seen apt-get dist-upgrade remove packages, so I assume it's rare.
I just want to see any post where apt upgrade was do problems and dist-upgrade fixes it.

Searched it. Found mass of post where it says - NOT USE UPGRADE USE DIST-UPGRADE without any explanation. May be you tell me exact post (or right search string) where it's explained and not just NEVER USE UPGRADE USE DIST-UPGRADE.

Use Internet search engines with:
Code:
site:forum.proxmox.com why dist-upgrade

You learn that doing apt upgrade may lead to
Code:
The following packages have been kept back:
  proxmox-ve
If this is not fixed with dist-upgrade or installing the missing packages, proxmox is broken because components are incompatible versions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!