Sharing A USB WIth Multiple Virtual Machines At Once

mikerohan

Jan 31, 2019
I am trying to share a USB across multiple virtual machines at once but, when its enabled it only seems to be visible on one virtual machine.

So far i haven't been able to find any thing on this, can some one please point me in the right direction or suggest where i am going wrong.

Thanks

no cannot share a usb device between multiple vms at the same time

So there's no way to do this at all not even iscsi or some thing else like an lvm or a directory under storage in proxmox.

Mount it in the host or a vm, then export it via NFS or SMB and mount it as such in the other VMs.

So there's no way to do this at all not even iscsi or some thing else like an lvm or a directory under storage in proxmox.
are you talking about a usb storage device?

you can have a storage on an usb disk where each vm can have a disk, but you cannot share a single disk between the vms
if you want that you must do what @Lucian said

If your VMs are Linux, then NFS would arguably be the easier route to take. If Windows samba would be easier, but both protocols would work eventually, regardless of OS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!