Proxmox on HP Microserver Gen 8 - storage config help needed!

infocus13

Jan 16, 2019
Hi folks

I've recently bought a HP Gen8 Microserver to use as a home server for TV recording and streaming (TVMosac), PiHole, Unifi Controller, Unifi Video/NVR and HomeAssistant.

The HP server is plugged into a gigabit Ubiquiti Unifi network with a Synology DS1517+ (5 x 4TB in SHR1) as the central storage server.

So now I am pretty confused about best practise OS and VM storage for Proxmox itself and its VMs. The storage options available to Proxmox are:

1. HP server: Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB Micro SD
2. HP server: 120GB SSD (not sure of brand/model)
3. HP server: 2 x 2TB Seagate Ironwolf drives (to be expanded to 4 drives in the future)
4. Synology: 5 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drives in SHR1

Given the above config, what would be considered best practise storage config for Proxmox OS, Proxmox logs and cache, and Proxmox VMs? I've pretty much decided that TV recordings and NVR recordings will live on the HP server to improve performance & remove constant access/writes to the NAS (hence the 2 TB drives in the HP server) unless there's any suggestions to doing this better.

Any help is much appreciated. I've done a lot of reading but the amount of options & permutations to solve the above equation is staggering!

ThankThan in advance

I have a 3 nodes proxmox/ceph cluster for the always-on feature and so I dont have to rely on any customised OS they put on NAS devices and it works really really well!

So in your case I'd put Proxmox OS on SSDs (don't put it on SD card as its not supported atm and will kill the SD card!) in all 3 servers, add one 2tb drive to each server and call it a day. Now what happens is, you can shutdown one machine entirely and cluster is still up. CEPH also scrubs data so I dont have to worry about cosmic rays destroying data on the drives :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!