VM is running but its not?

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
First time I have ran into this issue. This is a windows 10 VM. It will run aok for a few days, then the little green triangle next to the VM goes away and I can no longer access the VM. Sleep and hibernation are disabled on the VM.

The upper right buttons in proxmox have start grayed out as if the VM is running, but if I right click the VM, it offers me the option of start. If I try to start it, it says its allready running.

Does anyone have any ideas?

upload_2019-1-7_6-51-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-7_6-50-58.png
    upload_2019-1-7_6-50-58.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 7
Kind of interesting as well.

I hit "reset", at that point the "resume" button popped up in place of "start", I hit resume and the VM came up aok, but the uptime was fresh so it seemed like a new boot.

i guess the vm did go into a suspended or hibernate state which can happen on a default windows install (energy plans)

if it occurs again, please post the status that is on the summary page, this should contain the qmp status

would it be possible to get the output of
Code:
qm status ID --verbose
?

also the syslog/journal would be interesting

mhmm.. not much to see

but i see you use pci passthrough, maybe an upgrade (incl kernel) helps here.

I was thinking the same thing. We have about 100 of these units in the field and they have been rock solid for over a year now. I am wondering if some windows updates have brought some issues to the for front that maybe a proxmox upgrade would address.

That will probably be my next step, moving them to 5.3.

if it only occurs on that one unit, maybe its a hardware problem? what are the pci devices passed through (i guess a graphics card and usb controller?) ?

if it only occurs on that one unit, maybe its a hardware problem? what are the pci devices passed through (i guess a graphics card and usb controller?) ?

Yep its a graphics card and usb controller. This specific unit its happening on is a brand new install/setup, so it could be hardware. However I am working on a fresh image and I have run into similar issues with a base 1803 install, but I can't seem to reproduce it very easily. These types of issues are always fun to figure out.

also possible is: gpu/mainboard firmware/bios

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!