Restore to multiple storage

Oct 27, 2015
Hey there,

I've setup proxmox with 3 different storages:
local-lvm, ssd based
nfs-storage, which is a remote nfs server
nfs-backup, which is also a remote nfs server

I want to create a VM with one disk on local-lvm and one disk on nfs-storage. I can backup a machine like this just fine, but when restoring it's putting both disks on the same storage(as lvm volumes, on local-lvm)

So basically my question is, is there away to specify which disk goes to which storage when restoring a backup, or maybe is there a feature being developed to allow this? looking inside the .vma backup file, i see the conf has the disks defined correctly, they are separate .raw files, it's just that qmrestore only accepts one storage parameter.

I can do a manual restore(just restoring the vm with the primary disk on local storage, then adding another drive to it with the restored .raw file of disk2 already on the nfs storage), but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a builtin backup/restore option.

Hm, it seems that running qmrestore manually from the command line, without any storage options restores the vm disks to the original storages.
Then it's only a matter of the GUI, that forces you to select a storage to restore to.

So basically my question is, is there away to specify which disk goes to which storage when restoring a backup, or maybe is there a feature being developed to allow this?

If you restore on the command line without specifying a storage, it restores to the original disks. So we just need a GUI to select the storage for each disk on restore...

Reactions: Feni
Good day!
To what extent is it possible to implement it in the graphical interface? This option would be really useful...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!