Disable time sync between virtual machines and Proxmox host

Brent Clothier

Feb 3, 2018
Is there a way to disable the time sync between the Proxmox host and guest virtual machines? In particular, I would like to do so without disabling the Proxmox's host ability to use its own NTP daemon to set the clock of the server hardware.

I am running two virtual machine instances of pfSense on a Proxmox host. Each pfSense instance runs its own NTP daemon. But I believe time syncing with the Proxmox host is interferes with operation of pfSense's NTP daemons. Many listed NTP servers from pool.ntp.org show a status of Unreachable/Pending, with log entries similar to:

receive: Unexpected origin timestamp 0xdfc448f3.788bbe89 does not match aorg 0000000000.00000000 from server@173.255.215.209 xmt 0xdfc448f3.3fbf10e9

A thread on the pfSense forums recommended to disable time sync between pfSense virtual machines and their hosts. However, if I do so, I want to ensure that Proxmox is still able to use its own NTP daemon to set the clock of the server hardware. In my configuration, the management port of Proxomox is connected to a LAN switch "behind" the pfSense virtual machines. So the NTP daemon of Proxmox could be configured to get its time sync from one of the pfSense virtual machines.

Hi,

there is no time sync between the guest and the VM.
The host set the time at boot time and that's it.

Reactions: Brent Clothier
There is a saying ... virtualise everything except time ...

Proxmox uses systemd's time sync (which is best for hosts that need to sync quickly after a reboot) and it is configured in /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf

Reactions: Brent Clothier
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. My problem must be the result of something else. I will need to do some further troubleshooting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!