Debian router on proxmox, network performance issues

Seph

Dec 19, 2018
Hello, i have fresh proxmox install (latest version) on Dell R610 with:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
72GB of ECC Ram
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 @ 2.53GHz (2 Sockets)

and virtual machine running Debian 7 router with IMQ and quagga BGP @3.10.17 kernel

I have tried several diffrent network configurations, including passthrough on nic, virtio bridge with multiqueue or intel E1000.

On iperf tests i am getting great results, but when i connect actual clients to it (that generate around 350mbit traffic) server is able to serve only around 200mbit of traffic with pci passthrough, and around 150mbit with virtio multiqueue=8.
Cpu utilization skyrockets to 80% (8c/16t guest)

I have another exactly same machine running exact copy of debian 7 router natively, getting full 1Gbit speed on wan tests, cpu utilization around 1% with all clients connected.

Is there anything i should know about proxmox or debian config that would let me run this setup?

Yeah Debian 7 with custom kernel with some custom IMQ, iproute, iptables patches. Doing quite alot of pps as it is wireless network ISP with around 700 clients.

Last edited:
Disabling hardware checksum offload did not help, i will try fresh install, instead of moving with clonezilla image.

Tried Host and Nehelem - did not help. Fresh install not good either. Next on my list is replacing network adapter with Intel i350, if that doesn't help i will try to get it running on newer hardware on Dell R620.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!