cannot import rpool

matthew

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2011
Installed proxmox on four new enterprise sata drives in ZFS raid 10 like array using the proxmox-ve_5.3-1.iso installer. I updated to latest version using apt-get and rebooted. Then I added a few test VMs to it. It ran for a week perfectly. Rebooted it yesterday then received this error and would not start.

Command: /sbin/zpool import -N 'rpool'
Message: cannot import 'rpool': one or more devices is currently unavailable
Error: 1

Failed to import pool 'rpool'.
Manually import the pool and exit.

Then drops to console.

Any ideas? I reinstalled using ISO again and restored all VM's from backup. This time I used the four drives in ZFS raid 6 like array. Not sure that would be any different.

I think the message is self explanatory. There were some device of the pool that could not be found.
Usually, if the disks are healthy, you could try with rootdelay=10 in grub config

They are brand new enterprise disks.

# zpool status -v
pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
scan: scrub repaired 91.1M in 0h15m with 0 errors on Mon Dec 17 10:14:50 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
sda3 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdb3 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdc3 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdd3 ONLINE 19 402 1

This is after reinstalling. Does this mean a disk is failing?

If it fails to boot due to bad disk etc how do I manually import the pool and boot?

If all checks out , that is all smart info looks ok and all. It coild be your psu.
I had a psu failed on me invery similar way. Although in my setup I had over 10 disk but it started the same. One disk would drop of in array for no reason. Repalce the disk it works for a few days and than anauther would drop.
New enterprise disk as well.
As per some suggestion herr on thr board replaced my psu with new and more powerful and same disk have been in the pool for a month now with no issues.

Smart Values:
UDMA_CRC_Error_Count = 555

Shows 555 errors for this drive. This will be the 3rd drive that has failed in this machine over last 3+ years though. Its Supermicro case, power supply and motherboard. The power supply was bundled with case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!