Partial failures and fencing

mgiammarco

Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
Proxmox used to support hardware fencing devices and ilom/ipmi fencing.
Now it supports only watchdog fencing.
I have a server in a proxmox cluster that, sometimes, loses all hard disks: it is a partial failure.
The watchdog timer does not start, the server seems alive but ceph osds are down.
Until that is not a big problem.
But without disks the ceph monitor does not work correctly and hangs ceph filesystem of all cluster.
Also you cannot do anything on the server because even commands as "ls" or "cp" or "reboot" do not work because they need to read from disks.
How can I solve this problem?
Thanks,
Mario

"I have a server in a proxmox cluster that, sometimes, loses all hard disks: it is a partial failure."
Wild guess: It is an HP with raid in jbod mode?

"I have a server in a proxmox cluster that, sometimes, loses all hard disks: it is a partial failure."
Wild guess: It is an HP with raid in jbod mode?
It is a Supermicro server with raid controller Areca 1883i with battery backup, supermicro backplane and 12g SAS disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!