Downloading data files from Proxmox node

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
In GUI, uploading files by going to "Local" storage, tab "Contents", and clicking "Upload" works as expected.

But what about downloading? There's no option in GUI nor by right-clicking a file, not even in recent 5.3 release. Is only way to download files using CLI with SCP or the like?

Reactions: neail and shantanu
In addition to the use case of 'download to my workstation', I have a use case that once a backup is done, I need to copy the backup file to a central server.

For the file upload idea ...
a simple username (password?) box with the destination location would be good to have.
(I have a script setup on the PVE host to calculate the latest version of the backup for a particular VMID and then scp it the central location)

there is no download option - in general, you can use SSH/SCP. for backups, you can also setup a hook script - many people use this for moving backups to their final location. see the vzdump documentation and check out the example script that's shipped with pve-manager.

To download your ISOs for example, use Bitvise and login to the server and go to:
/var/lib/vz/template/iso
Then you can download it from there using SFTP

Reactions: kokokvm
To download your ISOs for example, use Bitvise and login to the server and go to:
/var/lib/vz/template/iso
Then you can download it from there using SFTP
downloadproxmox.PNG
So any help?
use bitwise ssh client,login then in its sftp section go to var/lib/vz/dump as shown in the photo this is how i do it.Select your file then right click and download option shall appear.You can specify download location in your local computer's by opening the corresponding folder in the local files window and then simply clicking the remote files and dragging to the the left window.

Reactions: neail
I solved it by using python to create a temporary fileserver in the directory:
python3 -m http.server PORT
PORT ist the Port you want to open for that so if I want a fileserver for the directory /var/lib/vz/dump on port 1234:
cd /var/lib/vz/dump
python3 -m http.server 1234

Now its availiable at:
SERVER-IP:1234

:)

I solved it by using python to create a temporary fileserver in the directory:
python3 -m http.server PORT
PORT ist the Port you want to open for that so if I want a fileserver for the directory /var/lib/vz/dump on port 1234:
cd /var/lib/vz/dump
python3 -m http.server 1234

Now its availiable at:
SERVER-IP:1234

:)
Simple and elegant, thank you

View attachment 36448

use bitwise ssh client,login then in its sftp section go to var/lib/vz/dump as shown in the photo this is how i do it.Select your file then right click and download option shall appear.You can specify download location in your local computer's by opening the corresponding folder in the local files window and then simply clicking the remote files and dragging to the the left window.
Thank you very much, this app is excellent, the same is your recommendation.

To download data files from a Proxmox node, you can use a variety of methods depending on your specific needs and requirements. Here are three common methods:

Using the Proxmox web interface: You can download data files directly from the Proxmox web interface by logging in to the Proxmox web UI and navigating to the storage location where the data files are located. Once you have found the file(s) you want to download, simply right-click on the file and select "Download."

Using the command-line interface (CLI): You can also download data files from a Proxmox node using the command-line interface. First, log in to the Proxmox node using SSH or the console. Then, navigate to the storage location where the data files are located and use the "wget" command to download the file(s).

Using a file transfer protocol (FTP/SFTP): If you need to download a large number of files or a large amount of data, it may be more efficient to use a file transfer protocol like FTP or SFTP. To enable FTP or SFTP access on a Proxmox node, you will need to configure the appropriate service and open the necessary firewall ports. Once this is done, you can use an FTP/SFTP client to connect to the Proxmox node and download the files.

Moreover, here is some information regarding PuTTY that, in my opinion, will be useful to you.

A secure connection to your computer is made possible by the open-source software programme PuTTY using SSH and telnet.
With the free software programme PuTTY, you can connect to a machine with a Unix-like operating system and
The only telnet and SSH client you require
It doesn't need to be installed, so you may use it to instantly establish SSH and telnet connections and use those connections to run programmes on distant machines.

It works with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, and versions of Server 2003 and earlier.
PuTTY provides capabilities including graphical SFTP file transfers, one-click Remote Desktop tunnelling, the ability to automatically rejoin, and dynamic port forwarding through an application.

Using the Proxmox web interface: You can download data files directly from the Proxmox web interface by logging in to the Proxmox web UI and navigating to the storage location where the data files are located. Once you have found the file(s) you want to download, simply right-click on the file and select "Download."

How do you get to this download menu?
There is just the browser context menu which pops up when I click on the backup-file which I want to download.
2023-08-04_10-07-58_pve1_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_–_Mozilla_Firef.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!