ESXI Migration to Proxmox - Very odd issue

jsherlock

Nov 26, 2018
So I'm attempting to migrate some VMs from an esxi host to a new proxmox server I built. Creating new VMs with proxmox works like a charm.

First i created copies of the VMs on proxmox, copying the same hardware config options, never started them.

I stopped the ESXI VMs, grabbed the vmdk's (they were flat files), moved them to /var/lib/vz/images/VMID , converted them with qemu-img convert to qcow2, which seemed to work perfectly.

I also tried using qm importdisk, which also seemed to work.

The VM's seem to boot fine via console, but ssh login info doesn't work(via console). Via console i see the login prompt, but my info doesn't work, it gives me normal failed login messages. I verified the passwords still work on the "old" esxi VMs. I also can't see any networking come up, I changed the NIC from virtio to VMXNET3 thinking it may need to match the old esxi networking interface type, but that didn't help.

This was tried with two different linux VMs and both experienced the same issue.

Any ideas what is going on?

If they use the "new" naming scheme, the names are most certainly not the same. Could you please check with ifconfig on the ESXi machines and on the imported machines?

So I can't get into the imported machine at all, and if the networking was screwed up, the console from within the proxmox gui should be able to access it, and it can. My login info just doesn't work somehow.

Were there multiple disks associated with the VM originally? Is it possible /etc was on a secondary disk that isn't getting mounted in the new VM for some reason? It might be worth booting to a LiveCD ISO and mounting your virtual disks one by one to make sure that you can see all of your files, UUIDs line up in fstab vs /dev/disk/by-uuid (they should, I would imagine). And if nothing else, maybe chroot to your environment from the LiveCD, and reset your password.

so it was only a single disk under Vmware and now a single disk in KVM/Proxmox, and the VM boots properly and via console I can see everything and I get a normal login prompt. It just seems so odd that my login info doesn't work. I can definitely reset it with a liveCD. I have a bunch of VMs I'm hoping to migrate from VMware and was hoping to somehow figure out if I was doing something wrong to iron out the migration process for the rest.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ah, yes, if you've got a bunch of VMs to do this with, manually resetting passwords isn't a good way to go about it.

Proxmox can use VMDKs. Maybe it's worth using the unconverted VMDK file(s) in a Proxmox VM to see if the issue still occurs. If it doesn't, then there's something about the conversion to qcow2 that's changing data. Which by all rights, it shouldn't.

any chance the console uses a different language, and/or that you use some non-standard characters in your passwords? - Does the problem also happen if you only use upper+lower case latin letters and digits? [a-zA-Z0-9]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!