Creating a second bridge for NAT networking

Sep 11, 2014
Lima, Peru
Hello,
I created a second bridge (as you can see in the attached pictures)
with the purpose of using it linking VMs that will be using NAT
to access Internet, but I don't know what to do next.

I am also attaching a screenshot of interfaces file located in the folder /etc/network
of my Proxmox server.

I will appreciate any suggestion. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• proxmox-bridge-1.PNG
    proxmox-bridge-1.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 58
  • proxmox-network-nat-2.PNG
    proxmox-network-nat-2.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hello,
I created a second bridge (as you can see in the attached pictures)
with the purpose of using it linking VMs that will be using NAT
to access Internet, but I don't know what to do next.

I am also attaching a screenshot of interfaces file located in the folder /etc/network
of my Proxmox server.

That's all and it should work.

Note:
- changes of network configuration by WEB-GUI are made in /etc/network/interfaces.new
- changes go into effect when making the next reboot (/etc/netwwork/interfaces.new is copied to /etc/network/interfaces)

If you want to avoid a reboot (not recommended, at your own risk) you can make the configuration temporarily by running "ip", "ifconfig" and/or "brctl" commands.

I have a doubt, how do I give internet access to the VMs using the second bridge?
(vmbr1 in my example).
Note that vmbr0 is linked to public IPs

the usual - either via NAT or via explicit routing (this is mostly unrelated to PVE and/or bridges though ;))

hai, I'm also trying to create a new bridge on proxmox
and want to use eth4 for the ports. but still cant ping to the gateway. is there any sugestion?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-12-04 19-30-23.png
    Screenshot from 2018-12-04 19-30-23.png
    52 KB · Views: 33
you have the same network configured twice 10.101.10.0/27 (vmbr1 and vmbr3) - this leads to quite inconsistent behaviour - it depends on the order of the interfaces going up, which one gets the route (unless you manually create separate routing tables, which imho is something you shouldn't do unless you know that you need it) - and on vmbr1 you have no interface added.

you can see your current routing table by:
`ip r`
and the route to a given ip by `ip r g $ip` (e.g. `ip r g 10.101.10.1`)
hope that helps

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!