Can I update network configuration without rebooting host?

While it might not work always as expected, you can try systemctl restart networking or something like that.

Two of the reasons, why we recommend rebooting after making changes to the network configuration are:
* if you restart a bridge-interface all it's child interfaces are not associated with it anymore - i.e. all of your VMs tap-devices are not in the bridge anymore - your VMs lose connectivity (you could re-add them with brctl addif, but I'd consider this error-prone)
* By rebooting once you gain confidence that the next reboot will also work (and you don't need to remember what you changed 2 weeks ago, if it doesn't work as expected.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

I'm currently working on ifupdown2, and it will be possible to reload network config.

Code is already in nosubscription repo

#apt-get install ifupdown2 (test if on a test server if possible, but it shouldn't break current config)

# do change in network with the proxmox gui

#pvesh set /nodes/yourhostname/network

Reactions: soupdiver
OK, thank you
My main concern is if there is any risk that I am locked out of my server without access to it.

Two of the reasons, why we recommend rebooting after making changes to the network configuration are:
* if you restart a bridge-interface all it's child interfaces are not associated with it anymore - i.e. all of your VMs tap-devices are not in the bridge anymore - your VMs lose connectivity (you could re-add them with brctl addif, but I'd consider this error-prone)
* By rebooting once you gain confidence that the next reboot will also work (and you don't need to remember what you changed 2 weeks ago, if it doesn't work as expected.

Hope that helps!

Awesome!
however as far as I know NAT bridges configuration can't be done from Proxmox-GUI

Hi,

I'm currently working on ifupdown2, and it will be possible to reload network config.

Code is already in nosubscription repo

#apt-get install ifupdown2 (test if on a test server if possible, but it shouldn't break current config)

# do change in network with the proxmox gui

#pvesh set /nodes/yourhostname/network

As of today, there is an APPLY button when you change the network config but it will then just show you an error about that you need to use ifupdown2 ... that command is not integrate with the product. If you try to install it using apt install ifupdown2 it will fail with :
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)

Then you can try to add the correct repository :
echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update && apt install ifupdown2

But mmmmm nope, still no go.
Look for another free hypervisor like vmware vsphere you will have something more robust and well established

As of today, there is an APPLY button when you change the network config but it will then just show you an error about that you need to use ifupdown2 ... that command is not integrate with the product. If you try to install it using apt install ifupdown2 it will fail with :
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)

Then you can try to add the correct repository :
echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update && apt install ifupdown2

Look for another free hypervisor like vmware vsphere you will have something more robust and well established
ifupdown2 is not yet the default, because they are some specific cases where it's not working well (I think with dhcp setup).
maybe it'll be default for proxmox7.
strange gthat you have pve-apt-hook error. do you have more details ? do you have last debian/proxmox updates ?

Code:

AFAIK, you't can reload management ip configuration in vmware, only restart (with vm network downtime)
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-v...UID-E46F9F62-D1BB-4485-815D-08DBAE320CC3.html

if you look at a network mangement like vmware for vm, they are a new sdn feature currently in beta
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesdn.html

Reactions: hwcltjn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!