qm migrate -> deletes pve-zsync zfs snapshots

andy77

Jul 6, 2016
Hello @ all,

we are experimenting with the zfs live migration and have recognized that the migration to another node, will delete all the existing pve-zsync zfs snapshots. So that on the next backup pve-zsync will fail.

Any idea if there is a option to kepp the snapshots on live migration?

Thanks for any hint

Regards

Been there myself and sadly, this is not possible.
When doing live migration, ZFS snapshots are gone.
Offline migration, would keep them, but I know this does not help you, as it does not help me. :-(

I feel you man. We are in the same boat.

I guess it has something to do with qemu migrating devices, which is not aware of underlying storage options.

What I do is, I just kill the pve-zsync job, move the backups on the backup server to some different zfs location, which my script deletes after some time, and after all migrations are complete, recreate the sync job. It is a PITA and I am currently looking at znapzend to get around this.

Hello @andy77 ,
I think you mean move disk and not live migration...?

Live migration -> transfering a running VM from one node to another, storage kept
Move disk -> transfering a running VM disk image from one storage to another, node kept

Cheers Knuuut

@Knuut
well no I mean really live migrations. The storage is kept, but the snapshots are deleted, so that on next pve-zsync the backup fails.

@mailinglists
Hmm... what is the difference between pve-zsync and znapzend? As I understand it will also use the "send" and "receive" snapshots from zfs. So this would cause the same problem, as the live migration would just delete your snapshots.

Been there myself and sadly, this is not possible.
When doing live migration, ZFS snapshots are gone.
Offline migration, would keep them, but I know this does not help you, as it does not help me. :-(

is live migration working with zfs? on iscsi? local?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!