PVE 5.2-1 + HPE DL180 G9 + ZFS = Not working

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my english.

I am using Proxmox about 6 years ago, in small corporations.
In the last months, we need to move the operating cluster from PVE 3.4 to PVE 5.2-1, for use the new replication features, that needs ZFS.

In one of the servers, we have several problems with ZFS.
This server uses 3 SATA disks, connected to Hardware RAID HP Smart HBA H240, in RAID5 mode, so the Proxmox installation see only one disk.
The anterior configuration was using UEFI, installed with default filesystem, and works without problem.

In the new configuration I cannot boot with ZFS in UEFI mode, so actually i have changed the server configuration to BIOS mode, and have installed Proxmox with ZFS(RAID0).

The problem appears when I try to restore a virtual machine that have one disk of 100 gigabytes. Proxmox starts to restore it and at some point the system stops responding through the web interface, and then it does not respond through SSH or the local console; forcing me to restart the server physically.

I have been reading some posts in the forum, about desactivating ZFS sync (not resolve the problem)
I found another message (here) that suggests that the only thing that can be done is using the the HBA H240 Array controller with all the data disks passed to ZFS as RAID 0 volumes, and next have ZFS RAID directly with the disks.

Some other ideas?
Main need is ZFS.

Thanks!!

Andrés
Reconquista (Santa Fe, Argentina)

Hi,

ZFS is not compatible with Raid controllers. You have to use an HBA.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!