OVS Bond and Bridge for Ceph Network Setup

HE_Cole

Oct 25, 2018
Miami, FL
Hello Everyone!

I am deploying a small promox environment across 5 servers and need some advice on the server side networking in promox.

My servers have 2x 10GBits ports and 4x 1Gbit ethernet Ports

Now with the two 10Gbit ports i have i want to bond them using LACP, And add them to a bridge then i have 2 VLANs for ceph traffic VLAN 20-Ceph Public and VLAN 30-Ceph Private.

So far i followed the promox OpenVswitch guide and installed it from ssh.

Now i need to know the steps to create the bond and bridge in the GUI. I try to first create the bond in the gui but i look as if i need a OVS bridge of the 2 interfaces before i create the bond. I am quite lost in the hole openvswitch as i am new to it. The reason i want to use it is from what i read you cant use a linux bond with multiple vlans on it like i need to do or can i?

Also do i need to remove and re add the promox Linux bridge it created when i setup promox and make it a OVS bridge? As i read also you cant mix linux and OVS.

I simply want a bond of 2 network interfaces and to use VLANs 20 and 30 on across them for ceph-public and ceph-private that's all.

So if any one could help me with the configuration of this that would be amazing.

If i get this 5 server cluster running my boss will let my buy a subscription for promox for the 30 servers we want to use it on if it works out. We are big into try before buy kinda thing.

Thats all for now thank you!

Hi,

The reason i want to use it is from what i read you cant use a linux bond with multiple vlans on it like i need to do or can i?
This it not the case. It works perfectly with Linux networks.
As i read also you cant mix linux and OVS.
You can not mix openVswitch and Linux network on one stack.
So it is fine to have a separate Linux Bride and a separate openVswitch Bond but you can't combine this two.

Reactions: HE_Cole

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!