ZFS over ISCSI ?

Roggar

Sep 12, 2018
Hi,
I want to interconnect PVE 5.2-8 with a ZFS on FreeBSD 9.2 (yes this system is lock on this version..) for storage of VMs disk.
What is your setup recommendation for production ?
- ZFS over ISCSI ?
- One ZVOL on ZFS and ISCSI -> Proxmox LVM-Thin, LVM or other FS ?
- One ZFS dataset, NFS share with Proxmox -> qcow2 ?

I'm interested to give a try with ZFS over ISCSI, but it seems Proxmox send "istgt onerestart" commands to the FreeBSD Storage when you restore a Proxmox snapshot, I'm afraid that close all iscsi session and lock VMs. Have you any experience feedback for this point ?

I'm also interested by Proxmox VMs live snapshot, so in you opinion, what is the best setup for production ?

Thank you for your help !

Hi,
Does anyone run on ZFS over iSCSI ?
I tested it some time ago. Decided to drop it since apparently LXC is not supported on that.
FreeNAS is not supported anymore, so I went with Nas4Free for testing if I remember correct.

I really wish there were some shared storage with the same features as ZFS (Local)

ZFS over iSCSI supports snapshots. But as I said before - you can run KVM VMs only.

Hi, there is som fork of the git you point to this one seems to be active :
github.com/UstyuzhaninAV/freenas-proxmox

What do you mean by totaly?
These patches allow you to use FreeNAS as a iSCSI storage for your VM's disks. Proxmox can create/destroy/resize virtual disks which are iSCSI LUNs on FreeNAS.

I think you answer my question.

In fact I trieded several month ago to manage a zfs over iscsi storage (without the patch).
This storage was a zfs on a FreeBSD 11, so native iscsi.
And each time I wanted to manage my storage from my Proxmox page I have in first to create the zfs vol, then to edit by hand /etc/ctl.conf and reload ctld service on my FreeBSD server.

How does this patch manage all of this ?

After applying patches, you can configure access to FreeNAS API via Proxmox GUI. Patches also added support for Proxmox to be able to manage LUN and ZFS configuration via API calls.

I'm wondering is there a performance benefit to running iSCSI instead of NFS to FreeNAS?
Especially as the ZFS over iSCSI does not support MPIO yet according to the Wiki?
(I would bundle 2 x 1Gbit connections)
Not sure about performance impacts, but the availability of snapshots over iSCSI is a huge one for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!