Newbie question

Michael S Ortega

Aug 19, 2018
Hello, My name is Mike, and im pretty much new to proxmox, I work for architecture firm, they asked me to put a main computer where every employee can upload docs (big pdf files) , and also find a way for them to communicate internally (screenshots and messaging ). so i planned of using windows server computer with a lot of storage, create a shared folders for it and proper backup, and use some sort of messaging software, but since that all they wanna do is just share files, and im trying to lear Proxmox, i want to ask you guys what do you recommend of using proxmox for such a work eviroment...
the server we have is a dell r210II V2 Server with 32gb xeon 1275v2 2x2tb enterprise seagate on raid 0 (controller MR9260-4I)

so my idea is to install a 32gb ssd drive on the server and install proxmox on it, then use the raid controller as raid 1 and have a storage available of 2tb and create the VMS for windows server 2012r2 licenced and openfire for messaging, however playing around with my own server and proxmox this questions are on my head.

Should i use the raid controller, or should i take it off and have proxmox set up the hard drives as ZFS pool? what will be the performance in both cases? (Vms speed) what do you guys suggest? at this point i dont even know if is possible to have Vms running on Zfs volumes. please give me your thoughs. I am here to Learn

Last edited:
The use case does not look like it would put heavy load on disk. Users are not likely to spend all their time uploading big PDF files and downloading them. So my guess is any disk system has sufficient performance.

I asked similar question a while ago: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/getting-new-host-how-to-use-ssd-disk.44880/

I would say since you have a RAID controller it is easier to use it, make RAID 1 of the rotating disks. ZFS needs a plain Host Bus Adapter, as you seem to know already. I found ZFS a bit complicated, but used it on a host with no RAID-controller and lots of memory, so I considered it worthwhile to spend time setting it up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!