trouble with 10g eth via ixgbe

Sebastian Kiel

Jul 28, 2018
hi,

i have 3 identical servers with integrated dual 10g sfp+ eth and dual 1g eth
[Supermicro X10SDV-2C-TP8F]
- the 1g nics are connected to redundant switches (frontend)
- the 10g nics are connected direct (backend ceph)
I tryed the configuration, shown in the video, but after restarting the nodes the network is broken
[https://www.proxmox.com/de/training/video-tutorials/item/install-ceph-server-on-proxmox-ve]
Just doing the steps [01:30 - 02:35], bonding only the 2 10g nics and restart the node results to the same problem.
And even just setting up a static ip on one 10g nic cuts back all others nics on that server.
As a result no incomming or outgoing connections on any nic are possible.
---
Installation with the 5.2.1 iso and successfully updated via apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
I found out, that the ixgbe driver [5.1.0-k] is a little older than the igb [5.3.5.18] version, but i'm not experienced enough to compile it into the kernel. (error: code model kernel does not support PIC mode)
Using ’ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1’ or ’ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1’ doesn't fix the problem, too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!