[SOLVED] Virt-viewer issue, advice needed for filing bug

janssensm

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2016
Hi,
Initially I posted this on PVE-user mailinglist, but got no response.

Perhaps others have experienced the same behavior with virt-viewer, although I'm aware that openSUSE Tumbleweed uses very recent packages.

Opinion or advice would be great.

I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed and recently got an update for virt-viewer.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/...tory/virt-viewer/virt-viewer.changes?expand=1

After this change I can no longer use the spice session from proxmox
webgui.
The temporary connection file from the webgui is downloaded and started with remote viewer.
After about 10 seconds I get:
"cannot connect to grafical server"
"time-out at socket I/O

Locally on the laptop at which I initiate the connection to my proxmox host everything works just fine.
So connecting with remote-viewer via spice://localhost:5900 to a local kvm spice session works ok.

I also tried to get some debugging info by starting remote-viewer with this temporary file (have to be fast as the ticket expires), but i get no useful info.

I'm willing to file a bug, but I i'm in doubt if this has to do with the spice implementation inside Proxmox or that its just a bug inside Tumbleweed.
>From the link above, the linked bug mentions a change:
"With spice-gtk 0.35 the spice-controller library has been removed."

please advise to which bug tracker this should be filed.

Thanks

as it works on other platforms, I would did deeper on the virt-viewer package on your distribution.

@tom thanks, will do that.
Think I will file a bug on my distro then.

@Afox
For completeness:
Could you specify what distro you are using to connect from with virt-viewer? and what specific virt-viewer package version?

Thanks.
According to the changelog from your distro's virt-viewer package:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1128609

* Thu Jul 19 2018 Fabiano Fidêncio <fidencio@fedoraproject.org> - 6.0-4 - Rebuild for spice-controller so being removed

Similar change as for Tumbleweed. So doesn't seem like a real bug but some feature from spice being removed upstream.
Anyway, I will file a bug for Tumbleweed and see where that will lead to.

I think you should file a bug for Fedora too.

please link your bugreport as I don´t know what to write.

For the moment, downgrading to 6.0.3 fixed the problem.

can anyone confirm that Proxmox uses NPAPI?
that does not make any sense, for spice only a file gets downloaded which is opened in your locally installed application (e.g. virt-viewer)

Edit: I debuged what prevents remote-viewer from establishing a connection. It says:
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 401 Permission denied - invalid csrf token

that info also makes no sense without knowing what exactly you did, please post also the corresponding api request, so we can see what exactly you were doing

Same for me. Using Fedora 28. If I update virt-viewer to its latest version, which is 6.0-4, I can't open SPICE console anymore. I do as usual to get the spice config file from the web interface (logged as root VM -> Console -> SPICE which downloads a remote-viewer file). Running remote-viewer with debug statement shows

Code:
[dani@germaine $] remote-viewer --verbose --debug téléchargement
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.682: Opening display to téléchargement
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.682: Guest (null) has a spice display
Guest (null) has a spice display
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.693: ignoring [ovirt] section content as URL, VM GUID are missing from the .vv file
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.693: After open connection callback fd=-1
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.693: Opening connection to display at téléchargement
Opening connection to display at téléchargement
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.697: New spice channel 0x55d29e1b4ae0 SpiceMainChannel 0
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:00.697: notebook show status 0x55d29e166250
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:10.828: main channel: failed to connect Entrées/sorties hors délai sur le connecteur
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:10.828: Destroy SPICE channel SpiceMainChannel 0
(remote-viewer:15021): virt-viewer-DEBUG: 09:18:10.828: zap main channel

[dani@germaine $] remote-viewer --verbose --debug téléchargement
can you try to rename the file to something without unicode symbols ? i think there was a problem sometime

can you try to rename the file to something without unicode symbols ? i think there was a problem sometime
Exact same behavior if the file is renamed to "spice" before opening it. Downgrading to the previous version makes everything working again. Will open a bug at Fedora's BZ, though, I'm unsure where the bug really is (does proxmox uses some obsolete feature being removed from upstream ?)

so, only out of interest: who is responsible in fixing this issue? virt-viewer maintainer or Proxmox?

anyone can provide a demo-system where a dev can log in for reproducing this issue?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!