Any issues with moving Proxmox installation on SSD from one physical machine to another?

victorhooi

Apr 3, 2018
Hi,

We have two identically specced SuperMicro servers, in two different countries.

To save time/effort, we were going to use two M.2 SSDs, and use one physical machine to install and configure Proxmox on both SSDs - then ship one SSD to the other location.

My question is - is there any caveats or drawbacks with installing Proxmox on a SSD, then inserting that same SSD into a different physical machine? (but with the same hardware specifications).

Regards,
Victor

If the NICs are different (not moving the NICs) don't forget to adapt /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to avoid your ethX to match the one your bridges are based on.

Ah right - we'll be using the onboard NICs (i.e. on the motherboard) - does that mean it should just boot up and have network connectivity on the new machine without intervention?

No, you need to update the file mentioned before switching the SSD in order to match the MAC addresses of the new NICs. If not, ethX will be incremented and won't match their configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.

No, you need to update the file mentioned before switching the SSD in order to match the MAC addresses of the new NICs. If not, ethX will be incremented and won't match their configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.
Hi,
I assume Victor install an actual pve - and for this it's not true, that the nics are renamed! This happens on old installation, which are out of service!
It's sounds that you should update (on an update the old udev-rule works, until you changed an Nic). If you remove the udev-rule you get eno1 - enoX for internal nics and someting like enp3s0f0 for n nic on pci 03.00

Udo

Ah OK. My cluster (up to date PM5.2) as been installed first in 4.x and updated since ...
So I'm carrying a lot for "heritages" from the past.

Are you sure that UEFI does not give a lot of troubles if UEFI install was used?
Hi,
ok - I havn't many experiences with UEFI... it's possible that this don't work out of the box...

With old bios-boot it's not an problem. I have done this often, last yesterday, with an clustermember, which I switched from LVM to zfs (on SSD).
Install in the lab, configure with puppet and than switch the disks and all work.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!