Is it possible to change IP address of nodes in a cluster ?

galphanet

Jun 18, 2009
Hello,

I have 6 servers in a cluster and I need to change the subnet of these servers.

Is is possible without breaking all the config of the cluster ?
Is there a particular way to do it ?

Bonus question : is it possible to have vmbr interfaces without addresses ?

Thanks you for your help.

Is is possible without breaking all the config of the cluster ?
Is there a particular way to do it ?

The cluster config does not store ip/subnet addresses. What exactly do you mean by 'change the subnet'? You only want to chnage the netmask?

Bonus question : is it possible to have vmbr interfaces without addresses ?

Sure

The cluster config does not store ip/subnet addresses. What exactly do you mean by 'change the subnet'? You only want to chnage the netmask?

Thanks you for your fast answer.

I have nodes with IP addresses like 10.10.10.2XX and I have to change them to 10.20.20.1XX

Ok so I can change them and multicast will take care of the rest ?

If so, this is not possible to have nodes in two differents subnets, right ?

Hi,
I would like to change the IPs of all nodes in a cluster.
current: 10.0.23.xx netmask 255.0.0.0
required: 10.249.0.xx netmask 255.255.255.0

I tried changing it by changing the ip in three different places,
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/hosts
/etc/pve/corosync.conf
but once i restarted the node it became red and i was not able to change the corosync.conf at all.
could you please help me out.

The corosync service uses /etc/corosync/corosync.conf, you need to make sure the same changes are applied there. This file is usually updated by the cluster service when the corosync.conf in /etc/pve gets updated by one of the nodes, but if you make manual changes, you need to make sure they're both up to date, and once a node is out of the cluster it won't get the required updates anymore.

You can stop pve-cluster.service and corosync.service, run `pmxcfs -l` as root to get /etc/pve running in local mode, then copy the file from there, then stop pmxcfs again and restart the two services.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!