Install on non bootable disk (USB /SD boot)

tuonoazzurro

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, i have a server with these specs:

HP DL360 gen8 with HP SmartArray P420i and 4x300GB.

I've managed how to set the controller into HBA mode, the problem is that after install it cannot boot,as P420i cannot boot when set to HBA, but i can boot from USB and go through all install process and i can see all 4 drives and set a RAIDZ1 but after reboot it not boot.

I was wondering (as install USB can see the drive) if is possible to make a USB drive that load a sort of OS that boot the real proxmox enviroment from the ZFS Pool.

Bios is set to legacy, gen8 is not capable of UEFI.

Nobody has some suggestion?

For the moment i'm testing setting all disks as a single raid 0

Last edited:
we want to keep the installer simple, so this is not supported out of the box. but nobody keeps you from moving /boot and the bootloader to whatever device(s) you want after installation ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!