Setting Up Proxmox

mundan101

Jul 14, 2018
Hello,

I am looking to deploy a Proxmox setup.

Currently I have a Untangle dedicated appliance that acts as my DHCP serverwhich I am looking to virtualize. This is currently connected to my switch.

The Proxmox will then plug directly into my internet modem and then the virtualized Untangle will connect to my switch.

I guess I am trying to figure how the Proxmox will get a IP address since it will not connected to a DHCP server when I virtualize the untangle.

Any ideas on how to set this up?

Well, give your Proxmox installation a static IP outside your DHCP pool. ;)

Ok if the Proxmox is directly connected to my internet modem, I know it will get my public IP address..

So your saying to put the IP address of it something different than my internal IP address?

Then I can connect My wan into one of available ethernet ports on my proxmox appliance and another for my LAN?

Your Proxmox machine will need 2 NICs. The NIC that connects to the rest of your LAN will have an IP address outside of the scope of DHCP.

The NIC that connects to your cable modem can be setup in one of two ways.

1. Create a bridge network, and give it a 192.168.100.* address (as long as it's not 192.168.100.1, that's your cable modem). Untangle's external NIC will be associated with this bridge, and then Untangle will pick up the DHCP lease from your ISP.

2. You can pass through this NIC to your Untangle VM. A little harder to do, but it's effective.

Edit:
I forgot to say what I came in here to say. I've been down this road, though with pfSense. Virtualizing your routing device is fun at the outset, but it gets old quick. Especially if this is supposed to be a lab or something, you have to worry about taking your internet connection down when experimenting with things.

Your Proxmox machine will need 2 NICs. The NIC that connects to the rest of your LAN will have an IP address outside of the scope of DHCP.

The NIC that connects to your cable modem can be setup in one of two ways.

1. Create a bridge network, and give it a 192.168.100.* address (as long as it's not 192.168.100.1, that's your cable modem). Untangle's external NIC will be associated with this bridge, and then Untangle will pick up the DHCP lease from your ISP.

2. You can pass through this NIC to your Untangle VM. A little harder to do, but it's effective.

Edit:
I forgot to say what I came in here to say. I've been down this road, though with pfSense. Virtualizing your routing device is fun at the outset, but it gets old quick. Especially if this is supposed to be a lab or something, you have to worry about taking your internet connection down when experimenting with things.

Not looking for a lab setup...looking to basically reduce some computers and rack space.....

Your modem has a switch, right? Just use his internal IP as gateway address on your Proxmox node.

And you can create a virtual bridged adapter on top of your NIC in Proxmox to pass to your VM's.

When I assign a static address to the Proxmox, how do I access it within the network that I have DHCP? I tried access the address I assigned in a web browser with https and :8006, no go

That's odd. As long as the static IP is in the same subnet as the subnet that DHCP is handing out, you should be just fine. Can you give me the IP and netmask of your desktop/laptop as well as the IP and netmask for your Proxmox machine?

Reactions: GuiltyNL
I'm going to start from scratch and try this again.

When I assign the IP address to the proxmox box, I should use the internal scheme that I will have but outside my DHCP range correct?
So if my current internal range is 192.168.2.100 - 299, I should maybe setup my Proxmox static as 192.168.2.10. Then assign that nic interface as vmbr0, then my second nick as vmbr1 which would be the wan? I should be golden then if I am understanding this correctly.

I'm going to start from scratch and try this again.

When I assign the IP address to the proxmox box, I should use the internal scheme that I will have but outside my DHCP range correct?
So if my current internal range is 192.168.2.100 - 299, I should maybe setup my Proxmox static as 192.168.2.10. Then assign that nic interface as vmbr0, then my second nick as vmbr1 which would be the wan? I should be golden then if I am understanding this correctly.

Generally this looks good.

Does the proxmox installer not create vmbr0? If this were a bog standard Linux install, the process of assigning a static IP to an interface, and then turning the interface into a bridge would not work. Instead you would create the bridge, and then assign 192.168.2.10 to vmbr0.

That and your DHCP range likely doesn't go to 299. :) Those are the only two things that strike me as odd about the setup.

Ok, I will try and document everything I did. Now my issue is that its not picking up a WAN IP address from the modem.

I installed Proxmox from a iso on a box. Assigned the box a 192.168.2.10, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.2.1 gateway.

I got into the web interface with my laptop.

Under the main hardware setting, I assigned vmbr1 to my other Nic with a 192.168.100.2 address.

During each setup I rebooted the appliance and both Nic's were showing active.

I installed untangle VM. assigned VMBR1 as WAN and VMBR0 as LAN.

My modem is connected to the VMBR1 NIC and LAN connected to VMBR0 Nic (only two Nic's in this box).

I have even tried deleting the assigned IP address on VMBR1, rebooted, and tried the install wizard with untangle -- still not picking up an IP address.

Okay, you're nearly there. I think the only thing remaining now is pretty typical cable modem finickiness. With your Untangle VM off, unplug the cable modem, turn the Untangle VM on, let it boot, and then plug the cable modem back in and let it boot. Once it seems to be booted, hop into Untangle, and it should grab an IP within a minute or so of the modem being up.

If that doesn't work, try the process again. This time boot the cable modem first, and then boot up the Untangle VM.

I have even tried deleting the assigned IP address on VMBR1, rebooted, and tried the install wizard with untangle -- still not picking up an IP address.
If you assign an IP to vmbr0 or vmbr1 on your Proxmox host, then that IP will be given to your host and not to your VM.

Don't assign IP's on a vmbr bridge in your host. Ensure that the physical NIC you created the bridge on, is connected with a UTP LAN cable to the WAN port of your modem.

Attach the vmbr bridge to your Untangle VM. Create a second bridge for the physical NIC that connects to your intranet and also attach that vmbr bridge to your Untangle VM.

So your Untangle VM has two bridge adapters assigned. In the VM itself, add one static intranet IP to the correct bridge and let the other bridge connect with DHCP.

I've got everything running so far with the below setup.

Only issue I seem to be having is when I reboot the appliance for whatever reason, the untangle looses the WAN IP address....renewing it's DHCP lease does not work. Physically unplugging the cable, reconnecting, and the renewing works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.50.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.50.04 AM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.50.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.50.18 AM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!