VM network freeze

the kernel pve-kernel-4.10.17-4-pve on the pvetest repository may fix the virtio connectivity issue
this kernel fixes a bug which occurs with virtio guests having to process a large number of connections

the kernel pve-kernel-4.10.17-4-pve on the pvetest repository may fix the virtio connectivity issue
this kernel fixes a bug which occurs with virtio guests having to process a large number of connections

Do you have a link to more info on the bug?

We are having this problem after upgrading to v5 as well. Random VM loses network and we can only get in via NoVNC. Restart fixes, just like others mentioned. We are going to attempt the test kernel to see if that helps, otherwise, we will have to downgrade back to 4.4.

Hi,

I've just installed the new kernel.

I'll keep you in touch if it occurs again.

I've installed the 4.10.17-24, I will report without testing the gso/tso options, thanks for your effort.

Reactions: manu
Hi,

Is was OK yesterday.

Fingers crossed...
To be continued... :D

@TwiX I've read the bugreport and seems to be this issue, I will increase the network traffic up to 10Gbit on each VM end report on friday. But it looks good anyways :)

@hellowordl: thank you very much for your feedback. We cannot possibily test all virtualization use cases, so it is important to here when something which was not working is now fine when applying the proposed fix.
Marking this as solved.

sorry to wake the dead, i am having this problem with windows 2016 server using virtio and on kernel
Linux saito 4.15.17-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.17-10 (Tue, 22 May 2018 11:15:44 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi there,

Im not sure if the problem is the same or it needs to be put in a separate post, but here we go.

We have a 3 node cluster, and we didint have any problems before upgrading to 5.2. The problems we are experiencing are occurring only on one of the nodes and the problem seems to be really weird one. Some of the VMs on one of the nodes are losing connectivity with no apparent reason but what makes weird is the fact that if you have ping running from the VM to anything in the network there is no package loss. I have tried to change the driver from virtIO to e1000 but the problem still persist. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mladen
Code:
proxmox-ve: 5.2-2 (running kernel: 4.15.17-2-pve)
pve-manager: 5.2-1 (running version: 5.2-1/0fcd7879)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-2
pve-kernel-4.15.17-2-pve: 4.15.17-10
pve-kernel-4.15.17-1-pve: 4.15.17-9
pve-kernel-4.4.117-2-pve: 4.4.117-110
pve-kernel-4.4.117-1-pve: 4.4.117-109
pve-kernel-4.4.98-6-pve: 4.4.98-107
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-36
corosync: 2.4.2-pve5
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2
libpve-access-control: 5.0-8
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-4
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-32
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-16
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-23
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6
lxc-pve: 3.0.0-3
lxcfs: 3.0.0-1
novnc-pve: 0.6-4
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-18
pve-cluster: 5.0-27
pve-container: 2.0-23
pve-docs: 5.2-4
pve-firewall: 3.0-9
pve-firmware: 2.0-4
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-5
pve-i18n: 1.0-5
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.11.1-5
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
qemu-server: 5.0-26
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
spiceterm: 3.0-5
vncterm: 1.5-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.9-pve1~bpo9

It is useless indeed. Just like all the other forum posts about this issue where no solution is coming up or simply nobody responds. I have the latest patches installed from enterprise repo. Running on HP dl360 gen9 with 32gb ram, 10 core Xeon 2630. I have 7 HP aruba switches and pfSense vm running on the network. But i allready submitted a ticket

Well, I did share more info like PVE and kernel versions and even a little bit of investigation, but I've never got an answer. Having a ping running from the VM's it is not really a solution to this problem. I thought that staff members will at least try to help out, anyhow ill persist with my annoyance cuz this need to be solved not to mention the licenses that I'm paying for. Back to the problem, all of the vms on this nod have this problem, they are (the vms) even consistent with the % of package lost around 13-14% on all the vms that I'm testing, I have a couple that I have ping running from within and they don't have any packages or connectivity loss. On the hardware side, I'm running a custom build server with supermicro motherboard, Xeon E3-1275 with 32gb of ram, and have just a couple of Netgear dumb switches. Have restarted the switches and change ports, restarted the nod a couple of times and as I mentioned before tried changing the driver from virtIO to e1000 but to no avail.

Thanks,
Mladen

Hm, i have only seen this Problem one time after updating the virtio-win-driver inside a windows vm.
After downgrade it was ok -at least it seems so.
I would first try with older or newer kernel, like latest 4.15.17-3 from pvetest or latest 4.13, 4.10, 4.4.
Its also possible to install the original debian-kernel.
Someone already mentioned to disable gso & tso..
Could be good, to know in wihch case its ok for you
Good luck!

Markus

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!