Backup Not Stopping

anthony

Jun 20, 2018
I set up an NFS server on an older server and went and ran a backup (snapshot) and found it swamped the network interface (didnt think about it) so i clicked stop on the status of the backup (double click the backup down in the task bar and clicked stop in the upper left hand corner of the pop up) the backup is still running and the stop button is greyed out. What did i do wrong/how can I fix this?

I eventually found that out, and it appears that it actually did stop, but the gui still shows it as running in the event log (spinning wheel) when you click it there is no information. So just a glitch I suppose?

My guess is the web browser GUI is monitoring another process that is spawned along with vzdump. For example, a lock file. When directly killing a process, associated processes and files are not managed cleanly.

Probably better than kill -9 vzdump is vzdump -stop. Try ps aux | grep vzdump.

Looks for open lock files. Possibly something like qm unlock <vmid>.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!