how to remove the "no valid subscription" proxmox 5.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
i created Proxmox HA cluster with native ZFS (ZFS on Linux) and DRBD . it can be supported or not by proxmox.

We do not support DRBD directly (AFAIK Linbit supports that). I suggest a "community subscription" if you just want access to the package repositories and remove the "no valid subscription" popup.

proxmox can support two node HA cluster.
HA needs three nodes to function properly (quorum). Otherwise the cluster will not know, which server has the truth.

You should be able to run corosync-qdevice on a cheap box (like a raspberry :) ), then you have quorum for HA.

EDIT:

While it should work, its not a supported/recommended Proxmox setup.

Last edited:
Hello, Proxmox team,

Removing "no valid subscription" popup it's easy. But is that legal ?

If you want to support PVE buy a subscription, otherwise live with it ;)

To be honest - the notification itself is very misplaced. I'd even go as far as call it inappropriate. I am not trying to be disrespectful to the project and all the people who are putting the hard work into making Proxmox cooler than VMware, who have Dell behind them and a huge pile of corporate money, but hear me out:
  1. You get the notification as a pop-up on every login. Really? How is relevant during login? It would make sense on a VM/Container creation. It would make sense during the update. It would make sense once after the reboot. But during the login it seems rather annoying and forced upon the user.
  2. It is a bad UpSell strategy. It's not a good thing to make an open-source project and declare it free, but then try to constantly guilt the user into buying the subscription. It's either paid, but offered as a gift (ESXi style) or free and grant the users the option via GUI to disable the notification. It's weird to have it both ways. I think that the Proxmox community culture should ENCOURAGE the use of a free and open-source project and encourage PARTICIPATION in making the project better, rather than throwing money into it. I may be wrong, but this is how i see my part, at least.
  3. The benefit and the pricing of the subscription are strange, to be honest. Why charge per CPU socket? How is it different than charging per GB of RAM? And the benefits are: a. enterprise repository (which makes it sound like those on no-subscription are used as lab rats to make that repository more reliable) and b. ticketing rather than using this very forum, where we ask for help and offer help (granted, not everyone, but still - community style approach as happens with many GitHub projects).
  4. For God's sake, why is the Enterprise (subscription) repository included by default into the settings of a new Proxmox instance? It throws and error during update EVERY time. To some it takes a huge amount of time to imply figure out that the installation is not corrupted. Why not explain - "guys, it's a free tier and if you want more stability -> link".
  5. This is personal, but i get very frustrated when in order to sell something, the seller (provider) creates an artificial inconvenience, which can be removed if paying. I think this is highly unethical and this trait is the reason why many hate capitalism.
No offence. It just feels strange that it took 8 replies (after TWO replies from staff, when you're usually lucky to get at least one on more serious and complicated topics) to get a reply on how to remove the notification. And most of the replies felt like peer pressure. And i want to be clear - i strongly feel (i may be wrong) that open-source and freemium cannot apply to the same thing. Because the "-mium" part is not open, nor sourced most of the times, hence it feels like milking the community for free product improvements and feedback, while selling those improvements back to the community. Therefore i think that the support service (Subscription) should be separated from the open-source product itself, which is Proxmox.

Now, after finalising the rant, i want to let you know that i am a business owner and i know perfectly well how hard it is to build a product. I do. It's just the fact that i don't think that in this particular case the approach is correct. I don't think that anyone should feel bad about removing an annoying notification. I don't think that anyone should feel guilty for not paying for a free product. I think that we, as community behind this project, should put as much effort as we can in order to improve and promote the project. As for monetisation - i personally feel it can be done better and i am available to offer input in that regard, as well.

Reactions: hat
Proxmox will continue our subscription model and keeping Proxmox VE a 100 % Open Source solutions with no hidden features and enterprise support for people who need it - a very successful model which guarantees long term support. In order to inform users, there is a notification to promote this on several places. Proxmox VE is available since more than 11 years and growing fast.

Reactions: KORG
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!