[SOLVED] Proxmox installation don't see RAID1

optimistic

Jun 11, 2018
I have two HDD 2TB each.
I configured RAID1 in my BIOS.
photo5258128401372391837.jpg

I checked if RAID is ok. Ubuntu installation see my RAID.
photo5258122809324972364.jpg

But Proxmox installation don't see my RAID, proxmox see 2 different HDD.
photo5258128401372391838.jpg

I use this iso of Proxmox.
Can Proxmox be installed in hardware RAID1?
How to install Proxmox on hardware RAID1?

Hello,

THis is not hardware raid, this is a software based raid solution, what require its own drivers. Dont use this, create softraid in Linux.

THis is not hardware raid, this is a software based raid solution, what require its own drivers.
Why this is software raid? Are you sure?
I made this raid in BIOS, my mother board have RAID, please check specification (in google: fujitsu e900 e90 pdf, I can't post a link)
KMb2U7R.png

This is your suggestions, right?
1. Dissable RAID in BIOS
2. Install Debian with software RAID1
3. Install Proxmox

What about with a server with only 8 GB Ram and 2 x 1 TB SATA 7.2k drives?? ZFS Raid 1 and limit RAM used by ZFS?.

Purpose is run only a VM and make backups with Proxmox to NFS Share and can move to other cluster if we need run maintenance tasks on physical node.

Theres a reason why we don't support mdraid in Proxmox

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID

The reason for this is that we have seen Data corruption with Qemu VM's and O_DIRECT. So please just don't use Fake Raid/Software Raid.
Is there a documentation how possible to reproducate it?

We managing ~15 server (each in single mode) with local mdraid in RAID1, without any issue.

hi optimistic,
as people pointed out already BIOS raid is not a real raid.
there are only a handful of MB with a real hardware raid controller on board. most of the MB have so called fake raid which is not supported my most OSes. and it will create a headache for you if something go wrong later on or if drive fails and need to be replaced.

you have 2 options:
option 1 : if you really want real hardware raid, you will need to search for a real good quality controller sported by Debian/Proxmox. you can ask on the forum and someone will give you models that work. but be ready for sticker shock.

option 2 : use ZFS mirror (raid1) mode instead as this is the only one I know works with Proxmox.
or you can load Core Debian using mdadm raid and try to install Proxmox on it. not sure if it works though.

BTW, ZFS mirror works great.

Thanks a lot to everyone.
Now I know what if fake RAID :)

I chose Debain+mdadm.
Yes, I saw that it can be some issues, but I don't have much RAM for ZFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!